New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

Did I do the right thing? Or am I FUBAR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did I do the right thing? Or am I FUBAR?

So I am 100% posting this entirely too late considering I've already bought/installed most of this. Maybe it's just jitters since I'm getting close to finishing it and I'm scared as hell I didn't do enough research.

So I have an 02 Sierra with the LM7 motor and 4l80e (it's actually a 4l60e) trans 4wd.

I bought all this:
www.amazon.com/dp/B0014F4PY2/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_ZuTWEbRWDH0ED www.amazon.com/dp/B0014F4PY2/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_ZuTWEbRWDH0ED
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

the truck is lifted with bigger tires, and has flowmaster 2.5 y pipe, shorty headers (bought it like this)

Stock heads and efan conversion.
I wanted a pretty mild-ish cam for a daily driver and I pulled the motor out and replaced all the gaskets (oil pan to throttle body).

I'm pretty much done putting it all together but I'll be putting back into the truck this next weekend.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being FUBAR and 10 being absolutely golden. Or is there a couple of little extras (less than $500 worth of parts) to top off my project?

I'm anxious with anticipation haha thanks everyone!

EDIT1: Here is sort of my "source of inspiration" I'm aiming for the mild build #2
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/eng...-mild-to-wild/

Last edited by WholeLottaWhoopla; 05-19-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,435 Likes on 1,062 Posts

I'll give 3.5 pistons out of 10

That cam will be soggy with a stock converter and the 4l80 1st gear. What rear gear, converter and tire size do you have?
I would not have spent the money on that Diablew POS. HPTuners or EFI Live and a custom tune ftw

I would have gone with a smaller cam or a 3k converter, and def a custom in person tune
Old 05-18-2020, 03:26 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Your links don’t work so no idea what your trying to ask.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by arthursc2
I'll give 3.5 pistons out of 10

That cam will be soggy with a stock converter and the 4l80 1st gear. What rear gear, converter and tire size do you have?
I would not have spent the money on that Diablew POS. HPTuners or EFI Live and a custom tune ftw

I would have gone with a smaller cam or a 3k converter, and def a custom in person tune
I mistyped, it's a 4l60e trans, and as for the rear gear and converter, probably all stock. I forgot the tire size because it's been parked at my buddy's place for the last 3 weeks now while I tore the engine apart and cleaned everything up.

Is diablo really that bad of a tuner? It seemed to get a lot of positive feedback, but I am reaching out to someone for a custom tune once it's all put back together.

you reckon I should get a 3k stall converter for what I'm running? I have a bit more room in the budget for stuff (about $400-$500). And I do all the labor myself so I haven't paid anything for labor yet. So any part recommendations I'm open to hear.

I just really want something fun as a daily driver.

Also, I fixed the links
Old 05-18-2020, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Pulled it out and dragged it home

Before and after on how dirty it was

Stripping it down to scrub it

Now its naked

Old 05-18-2020, 05:30 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

Yeah I'd return that tuner. Atomic on this forum sells HP Tuners with remote (email) tunes. You'll own the device, he will set you up with a base tune then you log data, send him the file and he will adjust what's necessary until the tune is right including transmission shift points. After researching the learning curve you'll be able to do changes yourself if you choose, plus you can always resale the device if you leave the LS (or other supported vehicles) platform. You will also need a Wideband so HP Tuners can calculate the necessary changes.

You could also get a mail order tune. Should be pretty close with that mild build.

Buy a new camshaft retainer plate. The orange gasket on the old plate gets squished flat and will cause oil pressure to dump out of the lifter galleys causing low oil pressure.

MAHLE B31622 MAHLE B31622
Old 05-18-2020, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I’ll give about 1 piston out of 10.

1. horrible choice in cam
2. Shorty headers, I took away pistons for this
3. Diablew, aka, Lewis tune
4. No gears
5. 60e will grenade itself
6. g80, if you have it, will grenade itself

So, Lewis isn’t a bad tuner with the SCT software. I used him when I first bought my truck and it definitely woke it up.

There are only certain things he can change or is willing to change.
The following users liked this post:
dantheman1540 (05-19-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 10:23 PM
Teching In

tough review man - but this is a budget build - the headers and y pipe came with the truck when I bought it, as did most everything else except what I listed.

I do plan to eventually move over to long tubes with true dual pipe but I have to wait for the misses to forget how much I spent so far.

I'll just drive it until the trans pops then I planned on putting in the 4l80e

hopefully I don't sound like an idiot, but I have no idea what the g80 is lol

and I have 0 idea how to play with the gearing because I am trying not to spend an absolute fortune on a truck I bought for only 5k =/

Is DiabLew really that bad? everything I was reading was giving the guy praise, but if there's a better option for like $300-$400 I'll return my tuner and go with another option.

my goal for this was just to have a "fun" daily driver and spend maybe $1000 making it fun
Old 05-18-2020, 10:49 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

G80 is the factory (RPO code) "Gov-Lock" carrier that gives you limited slip traction. It's nicknamed "govbomb" because they blowup when to much power is applied. It's still a better option than an open rearend. If that is the only option for a tune and you have good feedback... it is what it is. I personally know nothing about that kind of tuning.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,435 Likes on 1,062 Posts

So I'm pretty deep into a lot of worlds, so hear me out:

ive read maybe 1 good review of diablo for the 6.0 Powerstroke diesel (1 E350 in my stable)

Ive read 0 good reviews for the LS platform (currently own 2, had 3 for a minute there)

0 good reviews on the Fiesta ST platform (just bought myself one)

now im not saying I'm the bees ******* knees when it comes to tuning. I'll own that outright. But come on, I have or have had 5 supported platforms, spent hrs on the forums of those platforms, hours on video reviews and not 1 good review? Sure they are out there, I get that. But they shouldn't be hard to find lol

my tuner is $350+ $100 in credits. Can't beat him. He'll spend all day with me and my truck if needed. He books 1 car a day and that's that. Sometimes it's worth paying for the experience. Just like with welding. Sure you can spend $400 on a used machine, but that doesn't make you a welder

Quick Reply: Did I do the right thing? Or am I FUBAR?