New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

Did I do the right thing? Or am I FUBAR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedXray
G80 is the factory (RPO code) "Gov-Lock" carrier that gives you limited slip traction. It's nicknamed "govbomb" because they blowup when to much power is applied. It's still a better option than an open rearend. If that is the only option for a tune and you have good feedback... it is what it is. I personally know nothing about that kind of tuning.
I wouldnt say it's the only option, I'm definitely open to options for tuning, because I don't know squat about tuning either. But from what I've read its HP Tuners or DiabLew (I rarely see references to Diablo tuning that don't include getting a tune from Lewis). But that said when I was pricing it out it sounded like the Diablo i3 and a tune from Lewis was cost effective and sufficient.

I did PM Atomic and ask about pricing out an HP tuner and a custom tune from him. I can still return the Diablo i3

I'm just trying to see if what I've put together is going to work, and what else I might be able/need to do (within a limited budget or spread out over time) to make all this come together haha I hope that makes sense
Old 05-18-2020, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by arthursc2
my tuner is $350+ $100 in credits. Can't beat him. He'll spend all day with me and my truck if needed. He books 1 car a day and that's that. Sometimes it's worth paying for the experience.
I'm open to finding a better tuner and willing to spend a bit extra for a custom tune

That said I can and am willing to return the diablo i3 tuner and look at something/someone else. I spent $350 on the i3 chip and was looking at $150 for Lew-tune. So my budget for tuning is around $500. Just want to make sure I'm pointed in the right direction, and trying to figure out if my configuration is gonna work or if I'm in too deep and its gonna need a ton more work.

I understand that I'm coming at this a bit late, but it's been a long time dream of mine to get an LS motor and to tinker with it a bit
Old 05-19-2020, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Did anyone mention the need/want for larger fuel injectors yet??

Stock 25lb/hr injectors only go so far and if this engine makes enough power it will be over 90-100% duty cycle pretty easy.

You'll also require a wideband o2 sensor for tuning. That is the only way to monitor the air fuel ratio's in the exhaust.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

I also agree with getting HP tuners and Atomic has been awesome for me on both trucks and several friends trucks. There are other people out there but that's who I have experiance with. The other good thing is no matter what you do to the truck in the future he can accommodate the tune to match.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:28 AM
Teching In

So it definitely sounds like I need to return my Diablo i3, I can do that next week. I've PM'd Atomic and I'll look at getting an HP Tuner too.

So there are stiare few things nagging at me:
1) Someone mentioned a stall converter, is that something I should get ASAP before I put the motor back in? Does it make THAT much of a difference that it is seen as a "must"?
2) a couple of you have mentioned wideband sensor, what is it and are there any recommendations?
3) lots of mention about gearing: please educate me.

I only ask you keep in mind I'm not going for crazy numbers or big pulls, this is a daily driver and I want it to be FUNctional on a budget. I had to fight to get approval for the $1000ish that I'm dumping into this first round of projects on it, and the main goal was to clean the engine, inspect it and redo gaskets. Also figured I could toss a cam in and fortify the heads with new pushrods and springs. I hope all this makes sense!
Old 05-19-2020, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

Can't comment on converter I've never owned an auto.

Gearing is going to be out of your budget since you have 4x4 so a converter might be more recommended.

I'd definitely send the diablo back.

The cam should sound really good.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

A converter is normally one of the most dramatic things you can do for ET from a dig. Just be sure and match it to the torque profile of the cam. And don't go too crazy for a daily driver or it will be a pita. Just big enough for the cam.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:54 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

Tuning Options:

Mail Order Shipping the PCM out
PCMofNC
Atomic
Frost Tune
Nelson Performance

Remote Tune (Atomic, PCMofNC) etc.

Screwdriver Tune: swap to carburetor, intake and MSD box to control spark.

Live Tune: Find local tuner for PCM calibration.

Self Tune: Purchase HP Tuners with credits and a Wideband Gauge (be prepared for a steep learning curve)

Kyle from "Goat Rope Garage" is dedicated to helping enthusiasts learn how to tune.
This is how I started my tune learning process (in order to clean up a so so mail order tune)

https://goatropegarage.com/

Wideband I use
AEM 30-0300 X-Series AEM 30-0300 X-Series

The following users liked this post:
dantheman1540 (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Okay, so it definitely sounds like I will need to buy a stall converter, that's fine. I tried to do a bit of research on it.

I feel like I walked up to a water fountain and found out it's actually a fire hose... lol

arthursc2 said a 3k converter. Are these pretty easy plug n play swaps inside the trans? Obviously will be accompanied with a tune, but mechanically, will I need a bunch of extra things to go with it?

I've determined I would like to go with Atomic, I saw his black beauty and seeing some of the profiles from commentors here it seems he's tuned a lot of trucks for these forums.

So now If someone could help me find a good converter for my setup/desired outcome, I would appreciate any advice haha! Thanks again everyone, I super appreciate the help and advice

I'll buy that wideband RedXray linked; never used one, so is it pretty straight forward setup as well?

Does Atomic sell the HP tuner or is there a recommended model I should buy? (Only really looking to spend like $500)
Old 05-19-2020, 01:06 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

if your budget is that tight, go to a junk yard and ask for a converter from an older inline 6 trailblazer with the 60e transmission. I'd be willing to bet you can find one for less than $75. If you want a freshly built trailblazer converter, hit up circle D for a fresh and slightly looser converter that is extremely budget minded. It's better than a stock converter and fits the price on a budget build. To extend the life of your g80, do not do doughnuts, or burn out around corners. straight lines only. the added stress of turning while locked seems to be the demise of the g80 in my experience. sell the shorty headers and find a set of cheap chinese 1 3/4 headers with a 3" collector. Patriot used to be the one we used back in the day, but there may be a new header that everyone flocks to now days. dont be afraid to buy used headers. facebook marketplace, PT.net classifieds, Craigslist....you should be able to find a set for $200 if you're patient.

send the diablo tuner back.

Quick Reply: Did I do the right thing? Or am I FUBAR?