MULTIMEDIA (truck related) Post your Truck pictures and videos (PG-13)

Slow motion launch critique

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Slow motion launch critique

Guys, since going to from stock shocks to double adjustables, Ive gone from mid 1.5 60fts to 1.6s spinning. Little slow motion of my 10.99 pass with a 1.61 60ft. My thoughts are that the front is lifting too fast and topping out? I tried stiffening up rear, and it did not like it, spun worse. Caltracs in top hole, no preload, qa1 single adjustables on front, set mid way, qa1 doubles on rear, set mid way on compression, midway on rebound on this pass.

28 10.50 hoosiers, 15lbs of air, leaving on 8-9 psi with PTC 3500 converter. 2 step set at 3500. Like I said, with stock rear shocks and caltracs in same position, truck would cut 1.54-156 60fts.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

loosen extension all the way and tighten compression all the way. slowly tighten the extension until it doesn't hit the tire too hard. you may already have an idea of what is too loose. 2 clicks tighter every pass until it doesn't hit too hard and maintains the plant. then fine tune the compression. that's how I would attack it anyways. If the truck seems to spin as soon as the front tops out, tighten it a little to slow the rise. where is the full speed launch?

remember, only one adjustment at a time. otherwise you could end up chasing your tail.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
loosen extension all the way and tighten compression all the way. slowly tighten the extension until it doesn't hit the tire too hard. you may already have an idea of what is too loose. 2 clicks tighter every pass until it doesn't hit too hard and maintains the plant. then fine tune the compression. that's how I would attack it anyways. If the truck seems to spin as soon as the front tops out, tighten it a little to slow the rise. where is the full speed launch?

remember, only one adjustment at a time. otherwise you could end up chasing your tail.
Thank you for the help on this. Here is the full speed video.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:24 PM

you can see better what the suspension is doing by looking at your shiney diff cover against the bumper. i would tighten the compression more and leave extension where it's at and see what happens. you can see it gives one good bounce of compression after the hit and it seems to unload at that point. firmer compression will control that bounce.

to me it doesnt seem like it's hitting the tire too hard. backing off the preload even more may be something else to try. i hear of some guys putting a nickel on top of the spring to set preload a little looser. you can see that you're losing a little antisquat in the spool. not much but if you need a harder hit, less preload could be a place to find it.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can see better what the suspension is doing by looking at your shiney diff cover against the bumper. i would tighten the compression more and leave extension where it's at and see what happens. you can see it gives one good bounce of compression after the hit and it seems to unload at that point. firmer compression will control that bounce.

to me it doesnt seem like it's hitting the tire too hard. backing off the preload even more may be something else to try. i hear of some guys putting a nickel on top of the spring to set preload a little looser. you can see that you're losing a little antisquat in the spool. not much but if you need a harder hit, less preload could be a place to find it.
Caltracs are backed off 2 full turns. I used to have preload in them and when up on the converter it would lift rear a lot and I figured that was not good, so I backed them off, truck left much smoother and went faster this way. Last Saturday I stiffened up the rear, and truck spun all over the place, and truck went 11.15 at 120, don't know 60ft, the slip printer was broke. So I softened rear shocks back up, and truck went 10.92 at 122.3, it still spun right off hit, let out, got back in it and it hooked up. I will start over with what you mentioned with tight compression, tight rebound, and go from there. Thank you
Old 11-16-2016, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by fastjweb
Caltracs are backed off 2 full turns. I used to have preload in them and when up on the converter it would lift rear a lot and I figured that was not good, so I backed them off, truck left much smoother and went faster this way. Last Saturday I stiffened up the rear, and truck spun all over the place, and truck went 11.15 at 120, don't know 60ft, the slip printer was broke. So I softened rear shocks back up, and truck went 10.92 at 122.3, it still spun right off hit, let out, got back in it and it hooked up. I will start over with what you mentioned with tight compression, tight rebound, and go from there. Thank you
you're telling us nothing when you say you softened and tightened the shocks. on a DA shock you have compression and rebound (I say extension a lot). which setting did you tighten and loosen?

typically, for a cal-track style traction bar you want a firm compression and looser extension. I didn't say tight compression and tight rebound...I said tight compression and loose extension.

you want the suspension to quickly separate without hitting the tire too hard, and slowly return to normal ride height (compression)
Old 11-16-2016, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

you're telling us nothing when you say you softened and tightened the shocks. on a DA shock you have compression and rebound (I say extension a lot). which setting did you tighten and loosen?

typically, for a cal-track style traction bar you want a firm compression and looser extension. I didn't say tight compression and tight rebound...I said tight compression and loose extension.

you want the suspension to quickly separate without hitting the tire too hard, and slowly return to normal ride height (compression)
I didn't mess with rebound (extension) yet. I just played with the compression. When I said softened up the shock, I loosened the shock up on compression. It spun its *** off with compression full tight, but then again I didn't have the extension full loose either. thanks again
Old 11-16-2016, 07:12 PM

hey, if it acts better with the compression a little looser, leave it there. i'm looking at videos on the internet while you drive and look at time slips. give the truck what it wants.

where did it spin its *** off at? down track or out of the hole? if it spun at the hit, the compression had little to do with it.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey, if it acts better with the compression a little looser, leave it there. i'm looking at videos on the internet while you drive and look at time slips. give the truck what it wants.

where did it spin its *** off at? down track or out of the hole? if it spun at the hit, the compression had little to do with it.
Its spinning right at launch. Could just be a crap track lately too. I need to enter a bracket race day on a prepped track and see what it does, instead of test n tunes
Old 11-16-2016, 10:42 PM

in our area, normal test n tune is prepped like crap. test between rounds on a bracket event. also, notice how good some of the guys here are hooking on 315 drag radials. i'm a 275 radial fan now days myself. they hook amazing, run more stable out the back side and MPH better. and you can cruise on the street with them.

something to consider.