Notices

Lightning Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to pay 200 a month, but when I turned 21, it dropped down to 125.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:01 PM
Teching In

my lightning was the same as my honda but i was over 21 when i bough it. the honda was $187 a month when i was 19. I would expect around 200 a month for good full coverage amfam doesn't clasafy it as a high risk because they are not invalved in many accadents. they do fare well in 40 mph accadents with saturns though parts are expensive.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by javman
..They do fare well in 40 mph accadents with saturns though parts are expensive.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevynutss
My insurance company said they go by numbers, each vehicle has a certain number smaller cars and sports cars have a high number and trucks have low numbers. The higher number the higher the insurance rate. Does anyone elses insurance company do that? I am wanting something fast but my insurance company wont insure me under a sports car because I have a wreck 2 1/2 years ago and I am almost 19. But my insurance guy said trucks are fine because they are big, so I am hoping that they will let a Lightning be insured. I have always liked the Lightnings and I would love to kill my buddy's 1996 Z-28 that he always talks about. I think it will be easy, automatic 2.73 gears and it is a convertible.

Also my insurance for my 1997 Silverado Z71 is 165 a month full coverage, will a Lightning be close to that by any chance.

If they won't insure me under a Lightning, I will just have to find a Joe Gibbs Silverado.

Thanks for the help guys!!
It should be real close. When I traded my 98 F150 in on my first Lightning(99) my insuranse went up I believ $50 a month. My cousin also traded a FX4 Ranger in on his L about the same I did, and his insurance actually went down.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:25 AM
Teching In

Yeah I am praying that my insurance will cover me, I do not care if it is 200 a month. Totally worth it, I have been doing alot of reading on these trucks and the only thing I can say is wow.

I know the first thing I am going to do if it all works out for me is a 4 lb pulley, Power Surge chip and their intake kit...
Old 04-02-2006, 01:42 AM
Teching In

And another thing, how reliable are these trucks? This truck is going to be used everyday to school and to work, and (this is going to be my daily driver) I do not want to pay 350+ a month and pay insurance on a truck that is going to break down every other month like my Chevy. And how are they in the rain and snow, it snows maybe 2 times a year around here in Southern Illinios. Thanks
Old 04-02-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chevynutss
And another thing, how reliable are these trucks? This truck is going to be used everyday to school and to work, and (this is going to be my daily driver) I do not want to pay 350+ a month and pay insurance on a truck that is going to break down every other month like my Chevy. And how are they in the rain and snow, it snows maybe 2 times a year around here in Southern Illinios. Thanks
They're just like any other truck. Take care of them and you shouldn't have a problem. They do good in the rain, just stay out of the gas hardcore. Snow they do decent with some weight and snow tires.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Teching In

i bought mine in aug of last year it is a good daily driver it had 19,000 miles when i bought it it now has 27,000 on it and half the tires are gone like rob said they are very squerly in the rain and snow. if you shift in to passing gear in the rain at any speed it will go sidewase very quicly and scence it is an automatic the built up energy in the torqconverter will sustain the tire spin after you let off the gas so be carefull with it untill you learn its personality.

in the snow as long as you have the room to go sidewase it will keep moving i drove mine home 20 miles in 6 inches with no weight and the summer goodyears do not stop as long as it is moving in any direction on a hill the truck will crab sidewase and hit the wheel stops then let off the gas a little and the nose will move forward then get back on the gas and you will slowly climb up. also you can easly get stuck on the piles that develope in intersections you must hit them with enough momentum to get through.

also modding your daily driver is fun after talking with some people there is the potential to scater the botom end of the moter with just a 4# pully and chip. after talking to guys that have raced scence the 60s the added cylender pressur is less likely to break the rods than an increase in rpm becaus the load on the rotating assembly is multiplyed every 1000 rpm im not shure by how much but increacing the revs from 5000 to 6000 puts a lot of extra stress on the rotating assembly. if you mod it be prepaired to break it expecaly if you race it.

hope this info was helpfull and have fun if you get the new truck
Old 04-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

When I bought my L almost 2 years ago my insurance company covered it as a Heritage F-150.The sad thing is though it's cheaper than my 03 Focus. I can only guess it's because of the year of the car.I figured that since it's a economy car it would be cheaper.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Teching In

I am going to call my insurance guy sometime this week to see what he says.

And I do plan on taking it to the track as much as I can. After the chip, pulley and intake I plan on doing a full Bassani exhaust and then ET Streets.

Quick Reply: Lightning Insurance