INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Where can I find a new 4.8l short block?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where can I find a new 4.8l short block?

Evening,
Anyone know if there is any place where I could purchase a new 4.8l short block? Havent had much luck in finding one...THANKS
Old 11-12-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DAMN, i know a 4.8 isnt a 6.0 lol, but no one knows where I could buy a short block? That or no one makes em HA
Old 11-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do you want or need a NEW one?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, i guess its just kind of thing with me. I have always like to start with new parts whenever I do a build. Most of my experience is with motorcycles, and whenever I'd get a new one, I'd have the cylinder(s) plated and honed, get a new piston and rings and wrist pin. Problem is, that whenever I finally find the truck I'm looking for (00-06 rcsb) its most likely going to have over 100k miles and I want to turbo it. I want it to be reliable because it could be my DD for a year or two. I would like to keep it a 4.8 and don't think that boring it out and getting custom pistons will be that cost effective. Just dont think that turboing a 100k+ mile truck for 10-12 psi would be that reliable. Any options, opinions, and ideas would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

The only place you can get a NEW one would be a GM dealer or a GM supplier. Every thing else will be re manufactured or rebuilt.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Baltimore Whore

You would be surprised what a ls engine looks like with that amount of miles on it. For the price you can get a used one form you can slap new rings in it, bearings. lifters, pump and timing chain. The cylinders usually have the cross hatching still in them. In the begg, I would have been a little skeptical about boosting a used engine, but seeing what they can take,I would have no issue putting it to it. Not to mention buying a NEW or low low mile take out other then on here you will pay a **** load of money.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm good information Mangled and FastBrick. Thanks for the input. I guess I'll just rebuild a used one then. Would you only worry about changing the rings and not the pistons?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

4.8 pistons are dirt cheap, if your going to change rings go ahead and replace the pistons.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Baltimore Whore

If the pistons are in good shape, I see no reason not to use them again. Hell they have already been stressed, seasoned. Rings def yes, if you plan to boost it hard, it might be a good idea to open the ring gap a few thou over stock..True talk
Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
If the pistons are in good shape, I see no reason not to use them again. Hell they have already been stressed, seasoned. Rings def yes, if you plan to boost it hard, it might be a good idea to open the ring gap a few thou over stock..True talk
What he said. If there in good shape, run them. I always have the machine shop check them in relation to the bore. This way I can get the best fit in each bore.

If the pistons are ok, I would get New rings, New cam crank and rod bearings, New gaskets, New cam retainer plate, New oil pump, New barbell/oil diverter in the back of the block, New lifters and trays, and New rod bolts. Obviously if your going to this much trouble your probably going to put at least a mild cam in.

If the crank or rods need machining make sure you get the correct bearings for that.

Always have everything inspected FIRST before buying the replacement parts.

HTH

Quick Reply: Where can I find a new 4.8l short block?