INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Tons of questions....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tons of questions....

I hope someone has answers.I have a 01 silverado 2500hd 2wd a 6.0l with a intercooled radix, headers,custom exhaust,k&n cold air, bbk throttlebody,radix tune from superchips,6/8 djm drop kit and a powertrax locker on the truck now. To be installed are slp 1.8 rockers,granetelli MAF and I want more boost. Heres the questions.. Is 8lbs the most i can run? What do I need to do to install a shift kit and torque converter in a 4l80e(programming)? I was thinking either 2500 or 3000 stall ,which one? Also is there any cams available that will help my set up or is custom grinding the best way and will the 1.8 rockers help or hurt? My goal for the truck is high 12s with stock bottom end is this possible with out head swap? Any suggestions on how to achieve this? Any and all help is much appreciated!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whitewhale01
I hope someone has answers.I have a 01 silverado 2500hd 2wd a 6.0l with a intercooled radix, headers,custom exhaust,k&n cold air, bbk throttlebody,radix tune from superchips,6/8 djm drop kit and a powertrax locker on the truck now. To be installed are slp 1.8 rockers,granetelli MAF and I want more boost. Heres the questions.. Is 8lbs the most i can run? What do I need to do to install a shift kit and torque converter in a 4l80e(programming)? I was thinking either 2500 or 3000 stall ,which one? Also is there any cams available that will help my set up or is custom grinding the best way and will the 1.8 rockers help or hurt? My goal for the truck is high 12s with stock bottom end is this possible with out head swap? Any suggestions on how to achieve this? Any and all help is much appreciated!!!
some will say differant but i would not run more than 8 psi unless you change your pistons. #7 does not like boost. that would be my main concern for now.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:05 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

hmm, first of all welcome!
I wouldn't get the MAF unless you know how to tune for it. Also, if your wanting a Cam, I'd wait on the SLP rockers as well. You'll want at least a Trans Go HD-2 shiftkit in your 4l80e, run stock trans line pressures with it, and I recommend removing TQ management.

I need to see some pics of your truck man! post them up already!

As for boost, I'm seeing 7lbs stock with a 3.1" pulley. You'll need a good tuner in your area to dial all these mods in

Hope that helps you some
Old 01-15-2006, 01:43 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

The MAFS you currnetly have installed stock is the same 85mm used on the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and the 8.1L and the 01 and 04 Corvette Z06 engines. The stocker isnt a problem, it flows good enough. Save your money.

peace
Hog
Old 01-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by moregrip
hmm, first of all welcome!
I wouldn't get the MAF unless you know how to tune for it. Also, if your wanting a Cam, I'd wait on the SLP rockers as well. You'll want at least a Trans Go HD-2 shiftkit in your 4l80e, run stock trans line pressures with it, and I recommend removing TQ management.

I need to see some pics of your truck man! post them up already!

As for boost, I'm seeing 7lbs stock with a 3.1" pulley. You'll need a good tuner in your area to dial all these mods in

Hope that helps you some
I will post pictures soon. As we speak roll pan and wheels are in the mail... with the trans though I was looking at the trans go kit, a hughes torque converter, and the hughes pan. I found a place locally to program my truck but im waiting for all the mods before i take it in. Once i do the trans ,do i need programming and also Ive been told NOT to run a shift kit with a performance tune but that was through a old skool guy. Thanks
Old 01-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hog
The MAFS you currnetly have installed stock is the same 85mm used on the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and the 8.1L and the 01 and 04 Corvette Z06 engines. The stocker isnt a problem, it flows good enough. Save your money.

peace
Hog
thanks everyone seems to be against the MAF. The moneys gone and the box is here so i guess I have one expensive paper weight..
Old 01-15-2006, 11:07 AM
what a rush!

I will post pictures soon. As we speak roll pan and wheels are in the mail... with the trans though I was looking at the trans go kit, a hughes torque converter, and the hughes pan. I found a place locally to program my truck but im waiting for all the mods before i take it in. Once i do the trans ,do i need programming and also Ive been told NOT to run a shift kit with a performance tune but that was through a old skool guy. Thanks
Your old school buddy is correct, you want stock tranny settings with the shift kit. Of course you'll need to dial in the engine mods so that will be different. I have the Hughes deep pan, very nice piece, there is a bracket that you will need to bend slightly to get it to fit, but thats not a big deal at all.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Your old school buddy is correct, you want stock tranny settings with the shift kit. Of course you'll need to dial in the engine mods so that will be different. I have the Hughes deep pan, very nice piece, there is a bracket that you will need to bend slightly to get it to fit, but thats not a big deal at all.
So when I do the shift kit and torque converter I need to put the trans tune back to stock. Now that can all be done when I have the tuning done correct? Also what is torque management. Iwas told to remove that. Sorry if these questions are dumb but Im extremely new to the computer age..Thats why I signed up for this site.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:21 AM
what a rush!

Yes, trans setting go to stock, TQ management limits/buffers power under certain conditions, i.e. shifts.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Yes, trans setting go to stock, TQ management limits/buffers power under certain conditions, i.e. shifts.
thanks a lot for your help. Ill let you know how it all turns out..

Quick Reply: Tons of questions....