INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Please tell me this isn't bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yall are probably going to hate me/ ban me/ and not talk to me anymore lol but this is going to be CARBED. in a 92 rcsb. I was planing on using the 6012 box with the 58x wheel. If I can just swap the wheel that would be great. I dont want to put this engine back together and this little chip cause problems with cranking and firing the coils.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:11 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KDavis04ss
Yall are probably going to hate me/ ban me/ and not talk to me anymore lol but this is going to be CARBED. in a 92 rcsb. I was planing on using the 6012 box with the 58x wheel. If I can just swap the wheel that would be great. I dont want to put this engine back together and this little chip cause problems with cranking and firing the coils.
That's it, I'm banning you right now! Nah, that's cool...it's different. Personally, I've owned enough carbureted vehicles in my lifetime, and I'm hooked on EFI now. It's nice to be able to make adjustments on the fly from the comfort of the cab instead of bending over under the hood, but to each his own

I'd definitely swap that wheel...is the 6012 box the 58x to 24x converter box? If that was the plan, just swap on the 24x wheel and spend the dough for the box on something else
Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just swap to the 24x if thats easier and will save you some cash or just replace the wheel. i wouldnt reuse it no matter how little of a nick it is imo
Old 11-12-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by budhayes3
That's it, I'm banning you right now! Nah, that's cool...it's different. Personally, I've owned enough carbureted vehicles in my lifetime, and I'm hooked on EFI now. It's nice to be able to make adjustments on the fly from the comfort of the cab instead of bending over under the hood, but to each his own

I'd definitely swap that wheel...is the 6012 box the 58x to 24x converter box? If that was the plan, just swap on the 24x wheel and spend the dough for the box on something else
oh I love fuel injection but this will be different and cheaper. Either way im going to need a box to fire the coils. 6010 msd box runs the 24x and the 6012 box runs the 58x wheel.

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
just swap to the 24x if thats easier and will save you some cash or just replace the wheel. i wouldnt reuse it no matter how little of a nick it is imo
So keep the crank and swap the wheel? Which one would you choose 24x or 58x? I haven't bought a box yet so I guess I could do whichever.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

the 24X wheel is only like $25 through GM. Its the tool to install it that cost about $200
Old 11-12-2010, 09:39 PM

id do the 24 honestly JUST IN CASE you ever decide to slap it in the SS

the machine shop will do it for you, its not gonna be much man since the crank is already out
Old 11-12-2010, 09:57 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I guess if this is going into a 92 it doesn't matter which wheel you use since you'll be using a stand alone ignition setup. If you ever decide to sell the longblock in the future though, it might be easier with the 54x wheel since that was it's original equipment, and is consistent with the rest of the sensors on the block such as the cam and knock sensors which are located in different places than the engines with the 24x wheel. Since I assume that you will be leaving those sensors in their original locations, I'd go with the 54x in this situation.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
the 24X wheel is only like $25 through GM. Its the tool to install it that cost about $200
Yeah I was just looking around for the wheels. there not expensive at all but you have to get it aligned right that is the problem.

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Well I guess if this is going into a 92 it doesn't matter which wheel you use since you'll be using a stand alone ignition setup. If you ever decide to sell the longblock in the future though, it might be easier with the 54x wheel since that was it's original equipment, and is consistent with the rest of the sensors on the block such as the cam and knock sensors which are located in different places than the engines with the 24x wheel. Since I assume that you will be leaving those sensors in their original locations, I'd go with the 54x in this situation.
I think I agree with you on keeping the 58x. I will just make everything easier when hooking the box up.

but now kiniff has me thinking about putting this thing in the ss when its done lol jk. its going in the 92. The SS is in the process of going back BONE STOCK.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:13 PM

he cant leave the knock sensors in the stock location. he has to drill the side of the block where the gen 4 knock sensors go to a 10x1.5mm thread and use the 99-06 knock sensors. after he drills the block he cant go back to the gen 4 knock sensors bc the holes are different. so actually itd be easier to sell it as a 24x motor vs a 58x motor.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

not using knock sensors. again, hate me/ bash me but all the guys on ls1tech in the carb section dont run them. I might would consider it if it was plug and play but im not drilling the side of the block. Thanks for helping me try and figure all this out.

Quick Reply: Please tell me this isn't bad