INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

My LS1 build and swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol. tonight I am buying the flat top pistons, rings, and cam bearings for my other 350....then i gotta get lil **** like new water pump, oil pump, fuel pump.....so as soon as that 85 is runnin again (probably like 3-4 months)...and then I'll start building this one. Tomorrow after work I'm pickin my cousin up and we are gonna put that LS1 on the stand and break it down, clean it, and I'm buying one of those ball-type hone tools for the cylinders tonight, I have one of the long file type arms on it but the ball hone is better. gettin that off summit tonight.....

Dont let me forget about those heads you got Nick...
Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't put stock ls1 heads on it. They don't flow that well and they only get you 10 to 1 compression. At least get a set of 243 or 799 heads. They flow about 30 cfm more than stock ls1 heads. Oh and you'll get almost A .5 in compression bump.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Banned

I keep asking this, but what motor is the 243 head off of?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:59 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The early 2000's LS6 Z06 Corvette engine, and most 07-up 5.3's and 4.8's... 243 casting and 799's are the same thing
Old 05-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Banned

Put the motor on the stand and pulled her apart. Marked the postion of all the rods with a punch, the mains were already numbered....pulled the crank and cam, everything but the cam bearings.

One of the pistons came out of the cylinder way to easy, figured out why, it was chipped and the rings had broke....

Also on 2 rods there was pretty bad bearing failure, I have a pic but my camera wouldnt pick the damage up....its scored really bad. Other than that, no lip on cylinders, no other problems I can see. I sprayed the block with mean green and pressure washed it....soakin the pistons and mains in solvent.

Tomorrow I'm gonna bring the block and crank in to my machine shop to have em check it. Looks like I'll have to have the crank polished, its not bad enough to have it ground down. Just wanted to get the cylinders looked at in the block also. Heres pics

BTW, Are these holes supposed to be broke all the way? On the flip side of the block there is lil triangles, and on each side the holes are knocked out, cant tell if thats factory or not. Wish I had this motor complete so I could dig through the oilpan...

Old 05-28-2010, 06:16 AM
FormerVendor

Since, you are down to the block...and plan on adding power adders. Any thoughts to beefing up the bottom end? forged crank crossed your mind? -Adam @ Callies

-Not trying to push product....Just asking why not?
Old 05-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Banned

Naw, no power adders here, maybe a lil spray later. I was going to forge this thing but after talking to several LS1 owners doesnt look like I'll need to unless something breaks.....

Dropped the crank and block off at the machine shop. Said they can prolly just polish the crank, and as for the block they'll mic the cylinders and hopefully all they'll need is a good hone, which I asked them to go ahead and do also. Also they are going to remove the cam bearings for me, I dont have the tool yet. I left them the broken piston for reference.

Today I'm forcusing on cleaning all my parts for the other 350, I need to clean the rods and pistons real good and stick em in the freezer for a few days, then I pop the pins out to get ready for the new pistons. also gonna buy the new fuel, oil, and water pumps today, plus a carb rebuild kit.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:03 PM
FormerVendor

Sounds good...Have FUN! And for sure keep us posted!
Old 05-30-2010, 03:23 PM
12 Second Truck Club

call Polydyn and order a set of their coated rod and main bearings. that's what i did. I also have arp rod bolts, new ls2 timing chain, melling hi vol oil pump, new ls7 lifters and trays. I bought a set of ported 706s from a guy here in Tomball. Nice set of heads.

def get u a set of arp rod bolts, they are cheap.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Banned

thanks bro I will definetely take your advice. sounds like a good list of parts. tomorrow i gotta drop my othewr 350 block off to have some work done so ill be holding off on the ls1 for a lil while, gotta get that '85 runnin....

Quick Reply: My LS1 build and swap