INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

My LS1 build and swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My LS1 build and swap

This thread will serve as my build thread for my LS1. Bought it today from ben (silver-mod-o)....aluminum ls1 shortblock from a trans am, supposedly around 52,000 original miles, has stock crank, rods and pistons, cam....

The plan is to make this thing a beast, I'm tired of just having a nice looking but slow truck. Luckily him and Nick, (Nicksilverado) are going to give me some guidance on building a 11-12 second truck. Got to decide exactly how I want to go with this, then make a parts list and start spending.....

I'm also currently building a 98 350 for my 85 silverado for a daily.....just picked up my reground crank today from the machine shop, so now I've gotta buy some flat top pistons and two rods......etc. So I'll be building two motors at once. Then of course need to get a tranny built.....

Heres a snapshot from the bed, and one of the truck itll be goin in...already sold the bedcover.....Give me some suggestions guys!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:22 PM
12 Second Truck Club

r u gna be n/a for now?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06tx4.8
r u gna be n/a for now?
Thats the plan
Old 05-20-2010, 07:25 AM
12 Second Truck Club

if u have another DD, i would build a nice healthy motor. i have a buddy that had an ms4 cam for sale. Not sure if he still does, but that, along with a good set of heads would make that motor scream!
Old 05-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Banned

Yeah I got a DD so the sky is the limit, don't want to cut any corners on this thing.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Banned

Well Im thinking I want to set it up for spray.....reading about the turbos and how they only make lots of boost at higher rpms......I dunno. Seems like If I was to throw 3 grand in this motor like I want I could hit 12's, and with Nos hit 11's....That really all I wanna do. Superchargers are freakin expensive!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got some stock ls1 heads at my shop man for cheap. shoot me a pm
Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like you have very realistic goals man. Like I said, I'm ready when you are. We can make that thing as fast as your wallet wants to go LOL. Making that thing leave hard shouldn't be an issue being 4WD. Don't forget that you can make enough hp to make Earth turn backwards but if you can't put it down its useless. You'll still have to give that suspension a makeover, should be straight forward stuff though.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Sounds like you have very realistic goals man. Like I said, I'm ready when you are. We can make that thing as fast as your wallet wants to go LOL. Making that thing leave hard shouldn't be an issue being 4WD. Don't forget that you can make enough hp to make Earth turn backwards but if you can't put it down its useless. You'll still have to give that suspension a makeover, should be straight forward stuff though.
Yeah man, believe it or not I'm still payin on this damn thing, and itll be paid off in like 7-8 months. I'm payin $387 on the note monthly, plus I've been putting like $500-$800 a month into the looks and small perf. mods on top of the note...So when its paid off I'll really be able to throw some money into it. I have no problem rebuilding the trans, but I would rather try to find one thats already been beefed up a lil and add to it. Dunno yet, whatever you recommend. Also I've heard something about having to beef up the transfer case as well? I'm going to read up on that tonight.

Anyways....I would like to take my time and spend whatever I have to to make this thing scream. I can buy the best of the best, just a little at a time lol. So Ben, now that you know I wanna spray it eventually, can you start thinkin about the best way to go? Should I forge it all? Stroke it? Hmmm...

Nick: Ima holler at you bout them heads....Think I'll need stock Ls1 heads ben or should I get others? Thanks for the help guys lol
Old 05-20-2010, 08:23 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like this is going to be fun If you find out about beefing up the transfer case let me know, all I'm aware of is a clip that breaks that retains the pump...

Last edited by budhayes3; 05-21-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: My LS1 build and swap