INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

help with my cam installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:09 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Bear
As if you haven't already got enough good info, what I recommend to folks to make them feel better about using the lifter trays; is after you lock the lifters up into the trays, take a pushrod and push each lifter back down onto the cam to see how much pressure it takes to do so. If they fall back down when you barely touch them, well then I wouldn't be too confident in the trays holding them up. If it takes a fair amount of pressure, you should be ok. If you already have one magnet (most folks do), you can actually pull the lifters up into the trays a little further than what the cam lobes will, locking them a little harder into the trays. Just pull them up until the magnet breaks free from the lifter. Of course if the trays still seem like they don't want to securely hold the lifters I would find another method.
That's some pretty good advice, takes the "Russian Roulette" somewhat out of the lifter tray method. Don't want to scare the OP, but I have read of the little magnet coming loose from the pen magnet and staying magnetized to the lifter causing the head to have to be removed to remove the magnet...make sure that you get decent pen magnets.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:49 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1Bear
As if you haven't already got enough good info, what I recommend to folks to make them feel better about using the lifter trays; is after you lock the lifters up into the trays, take a pushrod and push each lifter back down onto the cam to see how much pressure it takes to do so. If they fall back down when you barely touch them, well then I wouldn't be too confident in the trays holding them up. If it takes a fair amount of pressure, you should be ok. If you already have one magnet (most folks do), you can actually pull the lifters up into the trays a little further than what the cam lobes will, locking them a little harder into the trays. Just pull them up until the magnet breaks free from the lifter. Of course if the trays still seem like they don't want to securely hold the lifters I would find another method.
That's excellent advice :thumbs: