INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Which heads for the best performance and correct CR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 06:38 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which heads for the best performance and correct CR?

I have a 5.3 that is toast I am thinking of getting a 6L short block and either getting my 5.3 heads reworked and getting the combustion chamber enlarged to 72cc or getting a set of stage 2 6L heads from WCCH. What will my compression ratio be on an lq4 6L with the 5.3 heads with a 72cc combustion chamber? Which heads would be better for a DD app and running 93 octane. How well will the lq4 and 5.3 heads work and how well will the 5.3 heads flow? I will be getting the heads ported, polished, valve job done and new guides. Sorry for all the questions just trying to get some direction as to what to do since Im probably going to have to do what I was originally planning on doing from the beginning.

Last edited by 1slow01Z71; 09-16-2005 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st, what is your HP goal? 2nd keeping the 5.3L cubic inch shortblock or are you going w/a bigger bore?

Are you wanting to put nitrous on it, or FI, or just N/A....

these things would help give you your answers
Old 09-16-2005, 11:11 AM

Im going to ditch the 5.3 in this scenario and put the 5.3 heads on a lq4 6L or get a set of heads from WCCH. I will be spraying nitrous for sure probably 175 shot since whatever I build will have a forged pistons and arp rod bolts so I can play more with the nitrous and not have to worry abotu anything. I would like 500 at the wheels atleast with the nitrous. I was at about 380 at the flywheel with my old setup without the nitrous I would like to have 450 at the flywheel then the nitrous on top of that. Right now Im leaning towards getting a 6L long block doing some P&P myself and then later on sending them to WCCH to get them nice and cleaned up. I will transfer all my new valvetrain stuff over to the 6L that I only got to play with for a week in the 5.3. I talked to Richard at WCCH this morning and he told me that the stock 6L heads will flow almost as good as a set of stge 2 5.3 heads so that pretty much sold me on a 6L long block and dooing the head work later.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:26 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I have a 5.3 that is toast I am thinking of getting a 6L short block and either getting my 5.3 heads reworked and getting the combustion chamber enlarged to 72cc or getting a set of stage 2 6L heads from WCCH. What will my compression ratio be on an lq4 6L with the 5.3 heads with a 72cc combustion chamber? Which heads would be better for a DD app and running 93 octane. How well will the lq4 and 5.3 heads work and how well will the 5.3 heads flow? I will be getting the heads ported, polished, valve job done and new guides. Sorry for all the questions just trying to get some direction as to what to do since Im probably going to have to do what I was originally planning on doing from the beginning.
Call Richard @ WCCH, he will tell you everything you need to know
Old 09-16-2005, 11:27 AM

I did call him thats why Im leaning more toward 6L heads and cam.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty much what I would have suggested. The 5.3L heads can be made to flow very well, and the smaller chamber pushes the compression up while allowing you the abilty to run a higher lift cam because you haven't taken any metal off the heads.

Good luck, let us know what happens
Old 09-16-2005, 11:50 AM

Ill know by next weekend for sure what im going to do it all depends on how much money I can get together.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your getting in this deep you really need to

START USING THE SEARCH ******* FEATURE

there are calculators you are gonna need alot of info that you dont have but can find ex.....deck height. start here http://www.e30m3performance.com/myth...omp_ratio2.htm
1. Search for a cr calc on the internet

2. call an engine builder
3. start reading
Old 09-16-2005, 04:15 PM

Well see the problem with me searching all over the internet is, is that I really get on mainly at work and they frown on surfing all day. At I home I have basically dial up with my internet connection so dont get all pissy at me for asking a question. I cant search for opinions and what people think would be the best setup for what I want to accomplish so chill out. Im trying to find out from knowledgeable people about what they have seen/done that works and what would be my best options dollar for dollar. I have talked to my speed shop that I got through abotu my options and I want multiple opinions not just 2 or 3 before I drop a large amount of money on a new engine. Im well aware tehre is a search button and for all those people that have basic questions that are repeated over and over again they should try a search. My questions are opinion questions and questions that to my knowledge have not been asked or atleast not in the form I am asking them.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:08 PM
I Like Gold!!!

thats what this site is for to ask ?'s and learn new stuff. if you dont like it then DON'T ******* POST. Just go with 6.0 motor and talk to allen he'll hook ya up.

Quick Reply: Which heads for the best performance and correct CR?