INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Forged GM 5.3L

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 01:51 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All good questions and I will answer a few of them but you should really do some reading in the Forced Induction section and Internal engine modification section. There's alot of good info on this site and alot of these questions have already been answered!

Your cheapest motor build will be the 5.3L to 5.7L. You can reuse most of the rotating assembly from the 5.3L except for the forged pistons and forged rods that you'll need to buy. And as stated before by kbracing96, bore out the block.
Yes with turbo's you can have a Hi/Low boost controller that will let you run any boost levels you want with the flick of a switch. It is what most people on here have, including myself and they are run for many different reasons, one of which is mpg. (For me low is 4psi and high is 18psi.)
As far as cost, it compounds because you change one thing you'll have to upgrade three or four other things. You need to write or contact an engine builder in order to get prices and advice on what kinda motor you want. But figure to pay about $15,000-$20,000 for a 800 hp driveline/truck.
Get a hold of WCCH (West Coast Cylinder Heads...they are a sponsor on the right ---->) they build engines and power combo's, and they can help you with heads/cam/etc...
Old 08-14-2008, 03:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the price of doing all that, you could either pick up an LQ4/9 shortblock or an LS1 shortblock. They are a dime a dozen since people with those engines are stepping up to larger engines.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
All good questions and I will answer a few of them but you should really do some reading in the Forced Induction section and Internal engine modification section. There's alot of good info on this site and alot of these questions have already been answered!

Your cheapest motor build will be the 5.3L to 5.7L. You can reuse most of the rotating assembly from the 5.3L except for the forged pistons and forged rods that you'll need to buy. And as stated before by kbracing96, bore out the block.
Yes with turbo's you can have a Hi/Low boost controller that will let you run any boost levels you want with the flick of a switch. It is what most people on here have, including myself and they are run for many different reasons, one of which is mpg. (For me low is 4psi and high is 18psi.)
As far as cost, it compounds because you change one thing you'll have to upgrade three or four other things. You need to write or contact an engine builder in order to get prices and advice on what kinda motor you want. But figure to pay about $15,000-$20,000 for a 800 hp driveline/truck.
Get a hold of WCCH (West Coast Cylinder Heads...they are a sponsor on the right ---->) they build engines and power combo's, and they can help you with heads/cam/etc...
I understand, I did read all thread. There is SO many pages for me to read over and over ha.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AdioSS
for the price of doing all that, you could either pick up an LQ4/9 shortblock or an LS1 shortblock. They are a dime a dozen since people with those engines are stepping up to larger engines.
Yes, but you will not have forged internals. NA guys can get way with that, but us serious FI guys need something a little stronger then stock short blocks