INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Chevy and Dodge get together as one!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy and Dodge get together as one!

I hope you GM guy's don't mind a Dodge guy getting involved in this subject. However, my current engine build of a 6.1 Hemi, consists of mostly GM parts, with minor modifications. LS1 parts fit right into the Hemi at half the price. So far, everthing for the Hemi has been custom built, at, custom built prices. After doing "ALOT" of cross referencing, I found out that I can put alot of GM part's into this project. No modifications to the valve springs or retainers. Slight mod's to the Eagle "H" beam rod's. Slight mod's to the to the exhaust valve and none needed to the intakes. After being on other sites, I'm glad I found this one. Horsepower is horsepower.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah its old news some of the head assembly worked........but the internals....man you might open up some opportunites. Welcome to the site as well!
Old 02-26-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I took the stock 6.1 crank and offset ground it to accept a Chevy 6" rod with a 1.88 Honda rod journal and a .927 pin. Howard cam's wanted $850 for some billet "I" beam rod's, for the 5.7. I bought the Chevy, Eagle "H" beam rod's for 1/2 the price. With the offset grind and the 6" rod's, that should keep the pin from being in the oil ring grove compared to the 6.125" rod length. The only thing with the LS1 Comp Cam retainers on the 5.7 and the 6.1 heads, is that they might interfer with the stock rockers. I'll let you know shortly with that update. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Only problem with the hemi is you will spend twice as much to go half as fast.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Only problem with the hemi is you will spend twice as much to go half as fast.
I think that is what he is trying to avoid, is the excessive costs. The hemi's really are good engines, just a little over-marketed. I'm surprised that the engine parts are interchangeable, but I almost put some Dodge u-bolts on my rear suspension when the dumas local GMC dealer refused to sell me any because he didn't like the way I was dropping my rear. I ended up buying some GM ones through the web.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
I think that is what he is trying to avoid, is the excessive costs. The hemi's really are good engines, just a little over-marketed. I'm surprised that the engine parts are interchangeable, but I almost put some Dodge u-bolts on my rear suspension when the dumas local GMC dealer refused to sell me any because he didn't like the way I was dropping my rear. I ended up buying some GM ones through the web.
How do you define really good?They break valvesprings toner rings on the cranks,they rattle.Looking at the DWT site there has been about 1 major engine problem per week.I bet the dealers pull 10-20 hemis to 1 GM truck motor for major repair.On this site you never here of a truck stock near stock engine come out for warrenty
Old 02-27-2006, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

they all have problems, i own a ls based engine and they're no better than a hemi as far as durability, i love the new hemi engines personally. on hemidup part thats some good stuff you got going on there, i wanna see some pics
Old 02-28-2006, 01:30 AM
Whistle Truck Guy

I dunno... To me they kinda overrate them. They say 345hp... Cmon that cant be right. The way a figure it my 5.3 is makin about that much at the crank... If my calculations are correct, 295rwhp is about 347bhp, yes? Well anyway, A friend of mine has a hemi truck with some 3.90 gears and a few other little things... Pretty much the same as mine, rcsb 2wd with an A4, and he dont have a prayer stayin with me. Its like as soon as the throttle drops, I just keep pullin on him. This was before the 3500 stall and 4.11 gears too. I figure with an exhaust and cai, he ought to have about 360 or so, right? And gas mileage. Jeez, I can go a LOT farther on the same amount of fuel than he can, and outrun him at the same time. What gives?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Sexy Party Mod

guys, lets not get into which is better. We can go round and round about which is better for days...just run a search and you will find Hemis bashing LS motors and vice versa. Lets just entertain the idea that a member is going out of his way to save money and discover new things. It could be a major breakthrough.

I too would like to see some pics. Keep us updated.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:39 PM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Quick Reply: Chevy and Dodge get together as one!