INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Cam Specs/Powerband Q

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 10:39 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MPFD
Yes the TBSS intake is made for Cathedral ports. You have plenty of gear for a little more came. The only think I would do is get the 3400-3600 converter and at least a 224 cam. I wish you were closer I'm let you take my truck for a spin and you woulnd't think twice about it.
That would be cool man, thanks for the offer Just out of curiousity...how much would a tbss intake swap cost for a cable driven throttle body with a return style fuel system...may be something to consider when putting the LQ9 together...
Old 03-27-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Damn Bud, I thought you were getting the 6.0 in the same time as the tranny? You're gonna be 50 years old it seemsl like before you get that 6.0 in there!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:41 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Also, if I had more air coming in, I'd want to let it out better...would have to consider ditching the 2.5" collectors and getting some 3" collectors welded in, as well as 3" dummy cats and y-pipe, maybe into a single 3.5" cat back...

this project can get real expensive real fast lol...donations welcome
Old 03-27-2010, 10:48 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Damn Bud, I thought you were getting the 6.0 in the same time as the tranny? You're gonna be 50 years old it seemsl like before you get that 6.0 in there!
LOL, yea I wish...I want to drive this thing this year! It's going to be 1)tranny 2)trutrac 3)6.0...the cheaper that I can keep it the quicker it will happen...kinda why I want to stick with my current intake and exhaust...I can always upgrade after the 6.0 is bolted in, and see the gains that I got from it. I would like to do some appearance mods after I get the LQ9 bolted in though, including a cowl hood, color matching the bumper caps and mirror frames, etc. I'd like to get some bigger sway bars and brakes also....I have unlimited plans, but not unlimited funds lol.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'd do the 6.0 before the trutrac. The trutrac is nice, but hardly necessary. The G80 is pretty good for what it is.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:56 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The intake is insanely cheap at $164. But, you have to run a "TBSS specific rail" $275 inorder to use the intake, they were all made for drive by wire trucks so you have to buy an aftermarket 92mm throttle body from SDPC $375 (it uses a different bolt pattern then any other GM intake), and it has to be run with a returnless fuel system so you have to set it up with a Corvette fuel system that carriers its regulator in the fuel filter. But you can still use your pump. Of course these are all (new) part prices but its getting harder and harder to find take off parts. All in all your looking at over $750 for all new pieces. I had a 90 TBSS intake I passed on (STUPID) that was complete with rail for $250, But I would still have to buy the throttle body from SDPC, and change my fuel system. The TBSS intake is a great upgrade on DBW trucks that already have returnless systems, but its quite a project on our early model trucks...
Old 03-27-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

There are ways to use the stock truck rails. Just gotta be creative.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:04 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a thread with info on this? SDPC told me the rail clamp down mounting points were different.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:05 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I'd do the 6.0 before the trutrac. The trutrac is nice, but hardly necessary. The G80 is pretty good for what it is.
The trutrac is cheap insurance to help protect what will be my new freshly built Level7. I've heard numerous stories about G80's grenading and taking the trans out with them. For a little over $400 it would be stupid for me not to want to protect that investment. Not to mention, money wise the trutrac can happen before the 6.0, after cam, lifters, gaskets, bolts....without even considering a tbss intake and exhaust upgrades.

Originally Posted by MPFD
The intake is insanely cheap at $164. But, you have to run a "TBSS specific rail" $275inorder to use the intake, they were all made for drive by wire trucks so you have to by an aftermarket 92mm throttle body from SDPC $375 (it uses a different bolt pattern then any other GM intake), and it has to be run with a returnless fuel system so you have to set it up with a Corvette fuel system that carriers its regulator in the fuel filter. But you can still use your pump. Of course these are all (new) part prices but its getting harder and harder to find take off parts. All in all your looking at over $750 for all new pieces. I had a 90 TBSS intake I passed on (STUPID) that was complete with rail for $250, But I would still have to buy the throttle body from SDPC, and change my fuel system

Well that's not that bad, but would still push the project off at least a few months, if not half a year with my current money situation. Think I'll go with the milder set up first and keep the big cam, intake, exhaust upgrade on the wish list...

The parts that I have for sale in the classifieds aren't moving fast enough lol...anybody want to buy a pre-owned wife lol?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:13 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone just posted a how-to for the TBSS intake on a 99-02 last week, let me see if I can find it again.

EDIT: Got it.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=459296

Quick Reply: Cam Specs/Powerband Q