INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Building a 408, need opinions on setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:53 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a 408, need opinions on setup

ok guys, i got me a bare 6.0 block, i plan on building it to a 408 and i want everything to be strong because i plan on spraying it. ocourse im going with forged pistons and rods along with the 4.000" crank. so theres alot of different brands ive been seeing such as eagle, manley, diamond, arias,mahle,compstar etc. so what do yall recommend me going with, and also what heads, i was thinking 243's but wasn't sure if i could with flat tops due to too much compression, so all input appreciated.also do plan on boring it .030 over thanks

-chris

Last edited by chris04; 03-31-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

stay away from eagle if your going to spend the money on a built motor they are on the bottom end of the spectrum. if you want this motor to be reliable i would use either a callies or cola forged crank manly forged rods and either manly or diamond forged pistons. spend a few extra bucks for the rotating assembly you wont be sorry. i have a 6.9 iron block in my truck with a callies 4" crank and manly rods and pistons along with a set of ported polished ls7 heads that were shifted for a 4" bore. the trick flow 225cc heads make the most power and torque numbers of any head on the market rite off the shelf but for a little less money ported ls6 heads are a close second.

Last edited by BLACK-SS; 03-31-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 03-31-2008, 08:44 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BLACK-SS
stay away from eagle if your going to spend the money on a built motor they are on the bottom end of the spectrum. if you want this motor to be reliable i would use either a callies or cola forged crank manly forged rods and either manly or diamond forged pistons. spend a few extra bucks for the rotating assembly you wont be sorry. i have a 6.9 iron block in my truck with a callies 4" crank and manly rods and pistons along with a set of ported polished ls7 heads that were shifted for a 4" bore. the trick flow 225cc heads make the most power and torque numbers of any head on the market rite off the shelf but for a little less money ported ls6 heads are a close second.
thanks for the input man, keepem coming guys
Old 03-31-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is your desired CR? You have to figure that out and go from there. I would just get yourself a complete rotating assembley.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chris04
thanks for the input man, keepem coming guys
Nothing wrong with Eagle, tons of guys use Eagle products.

I will tell you this. It might be cheaper for you to buy the engine already built.
check out TSP.
http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=46&catid=28

Factor how much it would cost you to build the motor, dont forget the machine work price. Please dont think you can just bore the block and toss the internals in.
You really should line hone, deck, use torque plates etc. etc. etc.
you can easily spend 700.00 just on machine work.

If your going to build a motor do it right, dont half *** it.

Compstar rods are great for the money! They are a little bit more expensive than Eagle but they are lighter and come ready to install right of the box.

Off the shelf Diamond pistons will probably do the job as well.

How much power do you want to make? How big of shot?

Derek

Last edited by Derek @ EDO; 03-31-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by gao8302
What is your desired CR? You have to figure that out and go from there. I would just get yourself a complete rotating assembley.
i figured around 10.6, i didn't want too much tho because i will be spraying, i heard that the 243's would bring my compression up so thats why i was trying to figure out if i should go with dished pistons and then 243's or with flat tops and stock 317's, i have looked at the complete rotating assembley just trying to get some opinions on brands
Old 03-31-2008, 08:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chris04
i figured around 10.6, i didn't want too much tho because i will be spraying, i heard that the 243's would bring my compression up so thats why i was trying to figure out if i should go with dished pistons and then 243's or with flat tops and stock 317's, i have looked at the complete rotating assembley just trying to get some opinions on brands
BTW, Nitrous loves compression!
Old 03-31-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well compstar (callies sister company) makes a complete rotating assembly called the speed pack. Comes with acl bearings, compstar rods, compstar crank, and mahle pistons and rings. That is what I got for my engine, comes computer balanced with your choice of compresion. I subsituted mahle pistons for diamond custom race pistons but that is because of the lower compression I wanted. I would give compstar a call, price is comparable to eagle and the quality is better in my opinion.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:05 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Derek @ EDO
Nothing wrong with Eagle, tons of guys use Eagle products.

I will tell you this. It might be cheaper for you to buy the engine already built.
check out TSP.
http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=46&catid=28

Factor how much it would cost you to build the motor, dont forget the machine work price. Please dont think you can just bore the block and toss the internals in.
You really should line bore, deck, use torque plates etc. etc. etc.
you can easily spend 700.00 just on machine work.

If your going to build a motor do it right, dont half *** it.

Compstar rods are great for the money! They are a little bit more expensive than Eagle but they are lighter and come ready to install right of the box.

Off the shelf Diamond pistons will probably do the job as well.

How much power do you want to make? How big of shot?

Derek

wow, thats not bad, i was actuall figuring around $3000 on the build, i got my block for $200 bucks from my buddy it needs new bearings and its a lq4, and yes i do want it done right no doubt, and i fugured around 500 to 700 bucks on machine work, there is a local engine shop that is real good, so i figured aorund 450 rwhp, and i plan on spraying anywhere from a 75 to 150 shot. what you think...
Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Derek @ EDO
BTW, Nitrous loves compression!
really i though it wasn't good to spray with alot of compression, learn something new everyday lol, so what compression would you recommend with this motor.

Quick Reply: Building a 408, need opinions on setup