INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Budget LQ9 build questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget LQ9 build questions

Hi all, I've been following along for quite some time on this site and LS1tech gathering info for my build. I have an 05 1500HD 4x4. It still runs great with 260000km but I'm looking for some added torque to pull our boat. We bought a 21' pontoon boat last summer and up to that point I hadn't really pulled anything substantial, not that the boat weighs a whole lot, but I was extremely disappointed with the performance of my 6.0. It absolutely drank fuel which I can handle if the power was there but it really seemed to have a hard time going anything above 105 km/hr. The truck is basically stock with 33's which will hurt it a bit but I guess I expected more out of it. I have no intention on racing it or offroading just a reliable tow vehicle that's a bit more fun to drive. A little fuel economy wouldn't hurt my I won't keep my hopes up. Anyway.......

Here's where I'm at, I was looking into all the typical upgrades, TBSS intake, custom tune, headers and exhaust ect,ect. But for me to spend that amount of effort on an engine with 260+km's just doesn't seem worth it even though many have had great success with it. So I came across a great deal on a running LQ9 from a 07 2500 classic which will be the base for my build. It may have a spun bearing but will get rebuilt regardless.

Plan so far

-Stock crank, rods and heads.
-Headers and aftermarket exhaust
-NNBS intake
-I've been looking into the vinci "H.D. TOW STICK" or "ULTRA TORQUE" camshafts

My questions so far regard the pistons and displacement. Would I benefit more from going with a .030 over piston to bump up the cubes or keep the bottom end stock and put that $ into the heads? I'm leaning towards the 370 since it's easier to do headwork later than bottom end.

I've probably just answered my own question lol but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Dan
Old 01-08-2014, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Miles aint nothing on these engines! personally id do the bolt ons(headers, tune....) youve mentioned, and see how you like it then. I'd even seriously consider throwing on a used magnacharger, because its gonna be fairly hard to gain any more off idle torque then what the factory settup puts out. In your heavy truck, along with pullingyou mentioned, torque is going to be what your after. Also, what gears do you have? with 33s i wouldn't want to run anything steeper then 4.10s.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:59 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If u gonna bore it may as well go to a 370.
Speed pro 4.030 pistons and rings are $300.
Used them in my budget 370 build very pleased with them!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by grey matter 04
If u gonna bore it may as well go to a 370.
Speed pro 4.030 pistons and rings are $300.
Used them in my budget 370 build very pleased with them!
That's what I was thinking. Hard to beat for $300.

3.73 gear in my truck
Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 PM

I just realized I may have put this in the wrong section. If the mods feel it more appropriate to be in the internal modification section please move it. Thanks.

Dan
Old 01-08-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG BRUTE
Hi all, I've been following along for quite some time on this site and LS1tech gathering info for my build. I have an 05 1500HD 4x4. It still runs great with 260000km but I'm looking for some added torque to pull our boat. We bought a 21' pontoon boat last summer and up to that point I hadn't really pulled anything substantial, not that the boat weighs a whole lot, but I was extremely disappointed with the performance of my 6.0. It absolutely drank fuel which I can handle if the power was there but it really seemed to have a hard time going anything above 105 km/hr. The truck is basically stock with 33's which will hurt it a bit but I guess I expected more out of it. I have no intention on racing it or offroading just a reliable tow vehicle that's a bit more fun to drive. A little fuel economy wouldn't hurt my I won't keep my hopes up. Anyway.......

Here's where I'm at, I was looking into all the typical upgrades, TBSS intake, custom tune, headers and exhaust ect,ect. But for me to spend that amount of effort on an engine with 260+km's just doesn't seem worth it even though many have had great success with it. So I came across a great deal on a running LQ9 from a 07 2500 classic which will be the base for my build. It may have a spun bearing but will get rebuilt regardless.

Plan so far

-Stock crank, rods and heads.
-Headers and aftermarket exhaust
-NNBS intake
-I've been looking into the vinci "H.D. TOW STICK" or "ULTRA TORQUE" camshafts

My questions so far regard the pistons and displacement. Would I benefit more from going with a .030 over piston to bump up the cubes or keep the bottom end stock and put that $ into the heads? I'm leaning towards the 370 since it's easier to do headwork later than bottom end.

I've probably just answered my own question lol but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Dan
I am going out on a limb and you still have the stock tune in the truck right? That and you have those $hit 3.73 gears in it too.

Tune the thing properly and run 4.10's. You might save yourself a whole ton of money lol. If you can't see my signature I only own 3 1500 HD's..... lol..... maybe 4 soon too. All my trucks are 4.10's with basically nothing more than a MIT tube, e fans and my custom tune...... beyond the turboed and forged 370 I am assembling for my 04. My 05 flat out hauls *** for such a heavy turd...... but it's a freak admittedly. It's quicker than my other 2 that are just empty trucks..... I dunno. All 3 run spot on but that 05 will run away from the 04 and pull the 03. It started life too with 3.73's in it...... and I went 4.10 when I had the chance. I just run the stock 30" rubber too. The truck would tip the scales at around 7500 lbs minimum with all my gear in it. I have no trouble pulling on Hemi Dodges that always want to run for whatever reason..... and I can stay right on the back of a stock ecoboost Ford... so it does okay. This is all highway roll... not enough convertor out of the hole, nor first gear in the tranny.

That said even my 03 pulls well. I loaded all my tools in the box of my 04 and threw it on the trailer behind the 03. I was at about the trucks legal limit ( 9900 lbs trailer weight) and it pulled it great actually. I was able to stay in third gear on most hills unless I let the cruise do it as it automatically would go for second gear.

The point of all my B.S. is yes the stock tune is that bad...... no spark advance, limiters from hell, WOT torque convertor lockup at the worst time possible, power enrichment delay and a whole host of other stupid things.

Tune alone you would not believe it is the same truck. Add some more goodies and go nuts.

And yes, again.... lose the 3.73's if you have to stay with 33's especially. Your legal tow rating is a whopping 7900 lbs too lol..... what a joke. It's reasonable though as gutless as they are that way. To get the 9900 lb rating the truck has to have 4.10's..... it's in your owners manual.

Okay. Otherwise. A 0.030" overbore isn't doing anything for you..... nothing, nada. Beyond cleaning up the bore and making sure it's straight. THe extra 6 cid isn't even worth talking about. With your mileage...... leave it alone. Put on a set of 243 or 799 castings....... takes your static compression to around 10.3:1 with the stock gasket. The 243's have a cleaner chamber from the factory too...... it's the exact same design as a 317 but not as rough. Every 2007-2013 4.8 and 5.3 have them on them..... plus the intake you want. I buy GMT900 4.8's off of kijiji for around $100 or less so it's a nice way to grab your top end.

Cam.... mild. 212/218 with like a 112 lsa would be a tow beast. Headers work alright too.... go long tubes.

But honestly..... a tune and gears is night and day. Try it first.... might surprise you. 260000 kms is nothing.... honestly.

And any HD truck has an LQ4 in it.... not an LQ9.

If you lived anywhere near me.... hell come drive my 03 and 05 and see what a difference it is.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Your thread has been moved per your request.

Boring the engine .030 won't gain you any power.

Spend that money on new gears. 3.73 with a 33 inch tall tire for towing definitely isn't helping your case.

On a budget, I would do it as follows:

Rebuild the bottom end as needed if it spun a bearing. If the bore and pistons are ok, Leave them alone but replace the rings.
Clean up the valve bowls on the heads and get a good valve job along with new springs for your cam.
Find a suitable towing cam.
Replace the gears with at least a 4.10 ratio
Get a good in person tune with different driving styles. This will allow your tuner to maximize power and fuel economy when possible.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
I am going out on a limb and you still have the stock tune in the truck right? That and you have those $hit 3.73 gears in it too.

Tune the thing properly and run 4.10's. You might save yourself a whole ton of money lol. If you can't see my signature I only own 3 1500 HD's..... lol..... maybe 4 soon too. All my trucks are 4.10's with basically nothing more than a MIT tube, e fans and my custom tune...... beyond the turboed and forged 370 I am assembling for my 04. My 05 flat out hauls *** for such a heavy turd...... but it's a freak admittedly. It's quicker than my other 2 that are just empty trucks..... I dunno. All 3 run spot on but that 05 will run away from the 04 and pull the 03. It started life too with 3.73's in it...... and I went 4.10 when I had the chance. I just run the stock 30" rubber too. The truck would tip the scales at around 7500 lbs minimum with all my gear in it. I have no trouble pulling on Hemi Dodges that always want to run for whatever reason..... and I can stay right on the back of a stock ecoboost Ford... so it does okay. This is all highway roll... not enough convertor out of the hole, nor first gear in the tranny.

That said even my 03 pulls well. I loaded all my tools in the box of my 04 and threw it on the trailer behind the 03. I was at about the trucks legal limit ( 9900 lbs trailer weight) and it pulled it great actually. I was able to stay in third gear on most hills unless I let the cruise do it as it automatically would go for second gear.

The point of all my B.S. is yes the stock tune is that bad...... no spark advance, limiters from hell, WOT torque convertor lockup at the worst time possible, power enrichment delay and a whole host of other stupid things.

Tune alone you would not believe it is the same truck. Add some more goodies and go nuts.

And yes, again.... lose the 3.73's if you have to stay with 33's especially. Your legal tow rating is a whopping 7900 lbs too lol..... what a joke. It's reasonable though as gutless as they are that way. To get the 9900 lb rating the truck has to have 4.10's..... it's in your owners manual.

Okay. Otherwise. A 0.030" overbore isn't doing anything for you..... nothing, nada. Beyond cleaning up the bore and making sure it's straight. THe extra 6 cid isn't even worth talking about. With your mileage...... leave it alone. Put on a set of 243 or 799 castings....... takes your static compression to around 10.3:1 with the stock gasket. The 243's have a cleaner chamber from the factory too...... it's the exact same design as a 317 but not as rough. Every 2007-2013 4.8 and 5.3 have them on them..... plus the intake you want. I buy GMT900 4.8's off of kijiji for around $100 or less so it's a nice way to grab your top end.

Cam.... mild. 212/218 with like a 112 lsa would be a tow beast. Headers work alright too.... go long tubes.

But honestly..... a tune and gears is night and day. Try it first.... might surprise you. 260000 kms is nothing.... honestly.

And any HD truck has an LQ4 in it.... not an LQ9.

If you lived anywhere near me.... hell come drive my 03 and 05 and see what a difference it is.
Thanks for you're input. I should have added that I have the 91 octane diablo tune in the truck as well which did seem to help some. I'll definitely look at upgrading to the 4.10's. the motor I'm using came from an 07 gmc 2500hd Sierra classic which had the LQ9. My other motivation for doing it this way is that I have a 53 Pontiac that I'm building. My plan is to rebuild the LQ9, put it in the truck and use the LQ4 for the 53. I just want a fresh power plant in my DD and tow vehicle.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

The 2500HD's did not have an LQ9

The LQ9 only came in the light duty SS, VHO, and VMAX trucks as well as Cadilac SUV's
Old 01-08-2014, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG BRUTE
Thanks for you're input. I should have added that I have the 91 octane diablo tune in the truck as well which did seem to help some. I'll definitely look at upgrading to the 4.10's. the motor I'm using came from an 07 gmc 2500hd Sierra classic which had the LQ9. My other motivation for doing it this way is that I have a 53 Pontiac that I'm building. My plan is to rebuild the LQ9, put it in the truck and use the LQ4 for the 53. I just want a fresh power plant in my DD and tow vehicle.
Diablos tune is a waste lol. I have seen what they do first hand in these trucks. Unlock the tuner, sell it, and get a real tune......

Oh yeah..... bin the clutch fan and grab some factory e fans. Nice loss of drag with no other penalty.

And sorry but you bought another LQ4. Pull the heads and you will have a dished slug with some valve reliefs in it if it is an 07. At least you have the full floating pin rods.

Quick Reply: Budget LQ9 build questions