INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Is this any good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this any good?

valve spring tool

I'm thinking about purchasing a valve spring tool, but I don't know what's good and what's crap, is that one any good? It comes with the air hold fitting.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:11 AM
TECH Addict

I'm a big fan of the Crane valvespring tool, it's designed specifically for LSx engines and does two at a time.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a friend that made one out of a metal plate, he cut a hole out for a bolt to tighten into the rocker arm mounting holes and there is a slit on the other end that is just big enough for the valve and locks to fit through. Just tighten it down and it will compress the spring so that you can get the locks out and loosen it back off. It takes a little while but it worked pretty nicely the one time that I have used it and the at least 3 or 4 times that he has.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:10 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrumm
I'm a big fan of the Crane valvespring tool, it's designed specifically for LSx engines and does two at a time.
Same here, that tool is awesome! I've used the More? tool (looks kinda like an aluminum rocker arm with a provision for a 3/8 rachet) and 2 prong compressors (that you crank down by hand), and the Crane tool blows them both away. Almost makes it a pleasure to change valvesprings with that tool. (on older sbc's I've had good luck with the tool that looks like a pry-bar with a U cut into it, but I haven't tried it on a GENIII yet)

Only tool that I could think of that's better for spring replacement is a magic wand
Old 05-17-2006, 12:19 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Same here, that tool is awesome! I've used the More? tool (looks kinda like an aluminum rocker arm with a provision for a 3/8 rachet) and 2 prong compressors (that you crank down by hand), and the Crane tool blows them both away. Almost makes it a pleasure to change valvesprings with that tool. (on older sbc's I've had good luck with the tool that looks like a pry-bar with a U cut into it, but I haven't tried it on a GENIII yet)

Only tool that I could think of that's better for spring replacement is a magic wand

The pry bar looking one with the U cut in it is good for breaking bolts in the head, but sucks to change springs with.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Or a check book.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:22 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrumm

The two-at-a-time is nice, and the fact that it's tightened by hex-nut instead of by hand makes it possible to put an air ratchet on it and cut your time way down. You don't need the cylinder pressurizer if you do the TDC method.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

so I guess nobody knows if the specific tool I posted is any good?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:08 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think it's a matter of good or not, its a matter of how easy it makes it. I wouldn't get that one personally, it might be a high quality piece but it looks like you have to tighten it down by hand, and it only does one at a time. Plus, it doesn't look like it gives you good access to put your finger over the spring locks when you are compressing the spring. If you can't keep them in place they like to shoot out and disappear.
Crane tool
Old 05-17-2006, 08:10 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Colby 04
so I guess nobody knows if the specific tool I posted is any good?
Whoops...I didn't even check your link, I thought you posted up the Crane tool lol. I've used the tool that you posted also...it works, but it's time consuming and a bit of a pain in the butt to use. When I did my springs the first time around, I used that tool for the springs closest to the firewall since the More tool couldn't get a good angle and wouldn't push the spring down straight. I think I kinda banged up one of the valve stems with that tool also...I noticed some nicks on the stem of the valve closest to the firewall on the pass side the second time I did my springs, which is when I used the Crane tool. I'd definitely recommend the Crane tool over that one any day

Quick Reply: Is this any good?