INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Another LQ4 Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2023, 05:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 411 Likes on 322 Posts

I daily my 408, have about 9k on it in town and about 20 1/4 mile passes at the track and about 1000 on the street. Lol. Just use the right parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by smokinlmm:
strutaeng (10-08-2023), TorqueHD (10-08-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

An actual harmonic balancer puller worked perfectly.

Beautiful, must have been a slick one owner, low miles, oil changed every 3000.

Cam damage. I assume this is from the lifter roller skating on the cam, this is evident on a few lobes. Good thing I wasn't planning on running a stock cam anyway.
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (10-08-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

I wondered how this tool would do, got it off Amazon. I like it and it worked great. Waiting on a mic set and dial bore gaige to come in the mail.

Bluecollar Hotrods (10-11-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,175 Likes on 895 Posts

OEMTools is awesome. I have a harbor freight puller though lol
Old 10-08-2023, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueHD
One other thing... I have always liked strokers and have always wanted to build one. Was planning on going that route, until I read on this forum that these motors aren't well suited for stroker cranks if you want to daily drive them. Because the piston rocking at BDC wears out the cyl wall prematurely, and it's evidently significant. I read on some site somewhere that a good stroker setup will mitigate this by having tapered piston skirts but I can't find any further info on this.

Is that a thing or do stroker LS's have to wear out prematurely? I know the LS7 is basically a stock stroker but I'm not sure what the difference is.
It's kind of funny researching about LS strokers, there are tons of posts about them in the mid to teen 2000's and then less and less from 2015ish and up. Any recent posts you will read is that the stroker problem you mentioned has pretty much been solved with the aftermarket and also the lack of new posts is probably because they work just fine. I can't even really think of reading about any blown up/failed strokers, even in the earlier posts, it seems the worst that happened was they started to drink oil.

There is the 3.9" stroke option out there, just not widely advertised. There is also some people starting to use the L8T crank from the new GM 6.6L gas trucks in the LS platform. It has a 3.858" stroke and is forged, boost ready factory GM. Mast is making a really attractive bottom end using this crank, here https://www.mastmotorsports.com/coll...-inch-wet-sump

I'm going to be calling them soon and asking about it because it looks like a great bottom end.
strutaeng (10-08-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by silentbravo
It's kind of funny researching about LS strokers, there are tons of posts about them in the mid to teen 2000's and then less and less from 2015ish and up. Any recent posts you will read is that the stroker problem you mentioned has pretty much been solved with the aftermarket and also the lack of new posts is probably because they work just fine. I can't even really think of reading about any blown up/failed strokers, even in the earlier posts, it seems the worst that happened was they started to drink oil.

There is the 3.9" stroke option out there, just not widely advertised. There is also some people starting to use the L8T crank from the new GM 6.6L gas trucks in the LS platform. It has a 3.858" stroke and is forged, boost ready factory GM. Mast is making a really attractive bottom end using this crank, here https://www.mastmotorsports.com/coll...-inch-wet-sump

I'm going to be calling them soon and asking about it because it looks like a great bottom end.
I ended up figuring out that BTR offers the 3.9". That Mast package looks good, cheaper than anything aside from a Summit rotating assy I think. I gather that you can use the 58x crank with the Lingenfelter conversion box from TSP? I assume the 8 bolt flywheel has all the same dimensions aside from the fastener pattern?
strutaeng (10-08-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 185 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueHD
I ended up figuring out that BTR offers the 3.9". That Mast package looks good, cheaper than anything aside from a Summit rotating assy I think. I gather that you can use the 58x crank with the Lingenfelter conversion box from TSP? I assume the 8 bolt flywheel has all the same dimensions aside from the fastener pattern?
You may be able to get that assembly with a 24x. It says it's welded so they most likely make them on a per-order basis and can probably make you a 24x on your request. All it takes is a phone call to ask.

Yeah, the 6.6 crank is starting to become more popular, but aftermarket has so many different options. It's good to have choices. 😊
​​​​
Old 10-08-2023, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,175 Likes on 895 Posts

Skip that box. Just get the right crank the first go round
The following 2 users liked this post by shakenfake:
TorqueHD (10-09-2023), zz454Chevelle67 (10-09-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

Dial bore gauge and mic set came in today. Merry Christmas to me. It's been a long time since I did anything with precision measuring tools so I'll probably double check everything tomorrow but after many repeated measurements today, it looks like the jugs are .0023" out at the widest discrepancy. That would put the tightest point at 3.9997" according to my math. I assume they are bored to a perfect 4.0000" from GM?
The largest measurements all came from the top of the jug 90 degrees from the crank of course with the tightest measurements all being measured front-to-back and everything was pretty consistent and repeatable so I have a reasonable amount of faith in the measurements.
I guess I'll be boring 30 thousandths. When you buy pisons for a .0030 over bore, I assume that's the cylinder bore and not the piston OD? I know, "measure them", is the answer.
Old 10-09-2023, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 345 Likes on 265 Posts

You buy pistons first, then the machinist will bore based on the true measurement of the pistons. This guarantees it is within your piston's spec

Quick Reply: Another LQ4 Project