PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/)
-   -   Another LQ4 Project (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/internal-engine-modifications-158/another-lq4-project-560721/)

TorqueHD 10-05-2023 05:49 PM

Another LQ4 Project

Starting this thread because frankly I have no idea what I'm doing. Constructive criticism please.

This LQ4 supposedly came from an 03 escalade, in running condition. Planning a full rebuild with some upgrades. In the process of buying a home so budget will be determined by how that goes.
I can dedicate 6k to an NA build but trying to swing the numbers so I can set an LSA blower on top. Currently planning on getting the block machined as needed, ARP main and head studs, stock crank, forged rods and pistons. Cam, maybe LS3 heads or at least some porting and valvetrain upgrades. LS7 lifters. Melling HVOP. And more if the blower thing works out. Sourcing parts from a local engine builder so I'm going to see what he can source for me.
this will go in my 02 Silverado 2500 CCLB. The original plan was Duramax like power without the ass-pain of owning and working on a duramax. Watching Corvette and LS videos, that's kinda evolved into "I just want more power". But can't afford a TVS2650.

gonna tear the motor down this weekend I hope but first road block, my Cordless impact won't remove the harm damper bolt. And hitting a breaker bar with a mini sledge just makes the motor turn backwards which I assume you're not supposed to do. I'll have to get a flexplate locking tool and try again I guess.
ive only ever built Harley motors so this is a learning experience.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.per...2b23c3b474.jpg

shakenfake 10-05-2023 06:05 PM

Skip the LS7 lifters and get something else. GM has a new(er) part number that isn’t Delphi repro garbo. Skip the main and head studs as well. Just get the ARP bolts you’ll be fine. Buy some used Gen IV rods and get some nice pistons that will fit your desired CR.
Skip the motor build and just put a blower on it. Thread over! Yay!

<3

TorqueHD 10-05-2023 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by shakenfake (Post 5524927)
Skip the motor build and just put a blower on it. Thread over! Yay!

<3

I'll check into the lifters, that's part of what I mean when I say I have no idea what I'm doing. I know GM has had lifter problems over the years and I don't know what the best option is.

Also... when I bought this truck I considered every truck model year combo... the iron block "LS" platforms with 4l80's are "the answer" as far as I'm concerned in terms of cost, ease of mtce, parts availability, options. I want this truck to last another 20 years and my whole life i've cobbled things together. This time I'd like to do it right.

shakenfake 10-05-2023 06:26 PM

GM doesn’t have the lifter problems. It’s their system that makes them bad. LS7 lifters now are just reproductions, not OEM.

I understand. But you are over building. Save the hundreds of dollars on studs and that shit and put it towards the blower. A full motor build is a waste of time. You won’t be anywhere near your goal after all that is said and done. If you are searching for duramax esque anything you are wasting your time with this section. Seriously, blower is the ONLY way.

Could do turbo but the blower is much easier

Also sorry I edited my post like 8 times. Mobile sucks ass for trying to reply to everything in the original posts lol

wretched73 10-05-2023 06:36 PM

I vote for running the motor as is and adding the blower first. When you're settled in your new house a little, go for a tear down and rebuild as needed.

shakenfake 10-05-2023 06:37 PM

This ^^^

I should have said a cam and heads will help a blower out but I’d say blower first then cam/heads whatever.

wretched73 10-05-2023 06:44 PM

I tried starting my motor build very shortly after moving. I finally had enough garage space.

It sat on the back burner for 2 years before I could get to it, then another year to build and install.

I had the same plan of an LSA and a 6.0. My motor had a rod knock so I didn't have the option to run it stock.

smokinlmm 10-05-2023 06:52 PM

Send it…

TorqueHD 10-05-2023 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by shakenfake (Post 5524929)

I understand. But you are over building. Save the hundreds of dollars on studs and that shit and put it towards the blower. A full motor build is a waste of time. You won’t be anywhere near your goal after all that is said and done. If you are searching for duramax esque anything you are wasting your time with this section. Seriously, blower is the ONLY way.

I am still learning about these motors but from what I gather, an LSA on a SBE LQ4 is just waiting to break a piston or bend a rod? This truck is my daily driver and only vehicle at the moment, if I had to choose between hotrod and reliable I'd pick a mechanically new GMT800. I'm hoping in the future I will be able to pick up a cheap LS1 C5, and that will be a different story.
The way I have the spreadsheet laid out I can swing the blower at the moment, I just know that things never go the way I forecast and money never stretches as far as it should.

TorqueHD 10-05-2023 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by wretched73 (Post 5524932)
I tried starting my motor build very shortly after moving. I finally had enough garage space.

It sat on the back burner for 2 years before I could get to it, then another year to build and install.

I had the same plan of an LSA and a 6.0. My motor had a rod knock so I didn't have the option to run it stock.

Also my stock motor is making some wonky noises on cold start. Can't tell if it's pistons or what... it started after the cross-country trip where I kept running the motor up into the 240's towing 8,000 lbs through the mountains. I don't know if that was normal considering the load and the speeds, or if the coolant system needed a good flush or what. But, it did whatever it did and now my original plan to build a "new" motor for this truck has a little more substantiation.