INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Aftermarket parts on DOD/AFM LS based engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket parts on DOD/AFM LS based engines

Does anyone have knowledge or experience with aftermarket engine parts on these new DOD(Displacement On Demand) and AFM(Active Fuel Management) engines in the 07 Silverados. A few other models(Trailblazer) have been using it in the 5.3L V8 since 05, but this is the first year for the Silverado. I'm wondering about things like cam, double row adjustable timing set, heads and headers. My 04 Silverado got destroyed and I want to use all those parts I took off of it on the new truck I buy, but if I can't use them that limits my choices severely. The AFM phaser is mounted on the front of the cam drive sprocket so I guess the double row chain is out as would be my camshaft since the DOD cam has special lobes on the 4 cylinders that get deactivated when DOD is being used. The heads might work, but the headers could be a problem since they have switched from the coil packs we are all used to and now use Coil On Plug which might cause a clearance problem for long tube headers. Who know which if any of these parts have to go in the junk heap or on E-bay and which can sucessfully be used?