INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Which 6.0 Rods/Pistons For Boost Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which 6.0 Rods/Pistons For Boost Build

Dropping my lq4 short block off at the machine shop. If the cylinders clean up should i buy gen4 style take out rods and pistons or forged rods/pistons? If it needs to be .005 cleanup should i use gen4 rods and forged pistons or forged rods/pistons? Looking to run low-mid 10s and hopefully high 9s all out. I have a kb kit with s475/83 1.0 t4 but will be upgrading to something like s480/92 1.0/1.1 t4. 93/meth

Found a set of rods for sale and just not sure how much money it will save me. Can i reuse rods bolts?
Old 12-11-2016, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

So i just aquired a set of LS2 rods and pistons. It's my understanding that the comp ratio of a LQ4 with LS2 rods/piston and 317s will be 10.1. Is that correct? I was wanting to run inbetween 9 - 9.5, upgrade to the s480, and run 22ish psi but now im thinking about using my s475 on the 10:1 and calling it a day. Would I run into detonation problems at say 17psi with 93/meth with the 10:1 comp? Or i guess what im asking is how much boost can i safely run with my s475 on 10:1 and 93/meth.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:28 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd probably go ahead and do Eagle crank/rods and forged piston upgrade for the goals you laid out above.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:33 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Doesn't have to be Eagle (although I've never had a single issue with one), My point was to go ahead and do it while it was apart, just for a bit of a security blanket.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

If i went with the ls2 rods/pistons then my goal of high 9s wouldnt be a goal anymore. That would allow me spend the money to set the truck up, suspension ect. If i could get low-mid 10s, Then enjoy for a couple years until i decide what i want out of the truck.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2005+ cracked rods are better - not sure how long they'd live at the requested power level and get LQ4 pistons with the dish if you're worried about comp ratio but that ultimately depends on what your head chamber volume is. Remember to gap your rings for boost too.

If you're after boost on a budget then that's the route to go.

If money isn't a factor then a forged rotating assembly 408 stroker kit can be had balanced for less than $2500 and you decide on piston dish.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken in AZ
2005+ cracked rods are better - not sure how long they'd live at the requested power level and get LQ4 pistons with the dish if you're worried about comp ratio but that ultimately depends on what your head chamber volume is. Remember to gap your rings for boost too.

If money isn't a factor then a forged rotating assembly 408 stroker kit can be had balanced for less than $2500 and you decide on piston dish.

Where have you found 408 kits balanced for under 2500? Thats a good deal.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just need to decide if i want to forge it or not. That's my delima. Run the ls2 rods/pistons and deal with limited boost due to comp ratio and 93/meth or just get compstar/wiseco combination and turn it up. Basically if i could safetly push a decent amount of power to run 10s on the lq9 then i would be happy with that. I could use the money to finsh the rest of the truck. People get good power out of the lq9 on boost and 93/meth but they are in light cars not trucks! Basically wanting to know how far the lq9 and s475 on 93/meth can take me and still be reliable.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:53 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Ken in AZ

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Where have you found 408 kits balanced for under 2500? Thats a good deal.
He's probably talking about buying a rotating assembly from one of the vendors here. A word of caution, when buying a "pre-balanced rotating assembly from a parts house, forget the fact that it is actually balanced. The companies throw these kits together based on one that was balanced. Then all kits from that point forward just get thrown in a box and are sold as "balanced".

I have never seen a mass produced out of the box rotating assembly that was advertised as "balanced" that didn't need additional work to get it balanced perfectly. Just too many variables.

So if you have some extra cash, go ahead and get your "balanced rotating assembly" balanced by a local machine shop.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blown06 has more experience than I do - so then you could save money on the extra cost of balancing and buy them unbalanced - then have your shop balance it.

Sounds like to make you happy you want to save money and make power - LQ4's have been proven reliable to 550-600rwhp but that depends a lot on your tune and fuel available - size your turbo accordingly. That would definitely put a smile on your face.

I've built engines before and just built my first LQ4 427 stroker - I left a lot on the table because I didn't research enough. I made decisions on parts before I read things about them because I got a good deal.

My advice, deals will come and go and come back again. Research what you want to do, the LS is the most heavily documented engine I've ever seen - it's all been done before because it's been around for 17yrs all during the internet age so it should all be online in one shape or another.