INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

5.3 Zo6

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted a cam like this because of traction. 117 lsa, I figured it would help, traction and boost bleedoff! I figured I would have no weight in the *** and would need the lag for traction. I t opens up around 3500. I like it, I have to find the best rpm to launch at though! All in time, I used 7.35 push rods on the 02 zo6 cam. Rick at synergy put them in.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBO8
I wanted a cam like this because of traction. 117 lsa, I figured it would help, traction and boost bleedoff! I figured I would have no weight in the *** and would need the lag for traction. I t opens up around 3500. I like it, I have to find the best rpm to launch at though! All in time, I used 7.35 push rods on the 02 zo6 cam. Rick at synergy put them in.
We are using a 2004 Z06 LS6 Crate motor in our project truck with a radix and it is great. Pulls like a rocket ship to 6500rpm and we are using a yank 2600. If you are going to the trouble of a cam swap you should go bigger and you will get more from it but make sure it is retuned via efilive or equal software for full tuning the pcm. Our shop uses EFILive and love it and I also hear alot of talk about HPtuner.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:06 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Thanks for the tip, (KBRACERING96) but I think i know a thing or two about fluid dynamics, since I have a bachlors degree in auto technology, and I teach dealer tech classes for a major manufacturer. I think that if chevy knew you could get the same lift out of small pushrods and stock lifters, they wouldn't have gone to the trouble to put longer push rods in the ZO6. But you could know more about LS1's then the GM engineers. But I doubt it.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MPFD
Thanks for the tip, (KBRACERING96) but I think i know a thing or two about fluid dynamics, since I have a bachlors degree in auto technology, and I teach dealer tech classes for a major manufacturer. I think that if chevy knew you could get the same lift out of small pushrods and stock lifters, they wouldn't have gone to the trouble to put longer push rods in the ZO6. But you could know more about LS1's then the GM engineers. But I doubt it.

Dude, you really need to learn how hydraulic lifters work! The lifters just run in the upper limits of their adjustment in stead of the middle like they would with the longer valves of the Z06s (GM used longer valves in the Z06, not longer pushrods) Its STILL a solid link! I guaranty I can put a dial indicator on the valve and I would be getting FULL lift, not .025 less because the cam has a smaller base circle. If you can't understand this, then maybe you need to go back to school and pay more attention this time

Last edited by kbracing96; 05-03-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Teching In

I have a zo6 cam in my 5.3 and like other people have said the cam really doesn't come alive untill about 3grand after i got mine dynoed they said the cam gave me about a 35 to 40 hp gain. I would of gone with something bigger but i got the came for $100.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:55 PM
11 Second Truck Club

You can guarantee in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up faster. The stock valves on the 5.3 are shorter, therefore you need a longer push rod to make up the difference, genius. I think you should do some more research before posting again. Expecting the lifters to make up the difference is going to shorten the life of you lifters. KBraceing I guess you should go to work for GM you could save them millions by cutting corners.

"I guaranty I can put a dial indicator on the valve and I would be getting FULL lift, not .025 less because the cam has a smaller base circle. If you can't understand this, then maybe you need to go back to school and pay more attention this time " But you havn't obviously done this cause you don't know do you.

And another thing without the engine running you will not have the oil pressure to fill the lifter to check your theory, I'd like to see you use a dial indictor on a running engine.

Last edited by TurboBerserker; 05-03-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:06 PM
11 Second Truck Club

New for the 2002 Corvette, the 405hp camshaft for the LS6 engine option. Please note that this cam has approximately a 0.050" smaller base circle than a stock LS1 camshaft. This smaller base circle will require longer pushrods for applications with stock length valves and no milling for the head surface. It is imperative that you check your pushrod length when purchasing this cam. The 2002 Z06 cylinder heads use a longer valve to make-up this difference!
SDPC2000.com check it out!
Old 05-03-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I love lamp.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MPFD
Don't worry kbracing96 it's ok to be wrong.
I'm not wrong. But obviously, you know it all and my motor doesn't work and I'm only get .525 lift...Oh and I bet my turbo doesn't work either.... You asked about Z06 cams and I told you about mine and what I though of it and then you tell me it doesn't work work Just because SDPC prints something in their catalog, it must be gospel and nothing else work

I'm done with you

Last edited by TurboBerserker; 05-03-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:17 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys don't let this deteriorate into a personal insult war....it doesn't accomplish anything other than to end up with a bunch of guys with their panties in a bunch and someone walking away with hard/hurt feelings. It's obvious that everyone believes what they are saying and it doesn't appear that either side is going to budge, so let it drop at that. Let's get this thread back on topic - people who have used the Z06 cam and whether they like it or not

Quick Reply: 5.3 Zo6