INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

5.3 recipe in prep for future boosted DD

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been reading and researching and making a lot of notes form a lot of posts on here. There are just sooo many options boost or no boost. Taking out the addition of a turbo kit and building a motor trans is enough in preparation for a mild boost under 600 hp. So the motor and trans and suspension and get a 14 bolt before any turbo is installed.

So if someone has a good proven reliable DD with a turbo kit I would like to know all the specifics. Ive gotten some good info, but it seems some info is missing. Let me know what you think of the below additions:

1. LS7 lifters and BTR springs

2. Truinion Kit

3. LS9 Head gaskets

4. ARP studs. Not sure all short or short and long or hex head or 12 pt

5. TSP polished oil pump(some negative comments on this and not sure the advantage)

6. Dual E-Fans with LS1 fans and PCM4less harness(because me modifying electrical for reliability scares me)

7. Cam....Waaaaaay to many options here

8. Torque Converter....Waaaay to many options here. I'm thinking a Circle D single disk, 265mm, 2600 stall, tight, for good DD and some boat towing.

9. 4L80E from FLT, no idea what level, cheaper is better since I'm only going less than 600 hp. I'd prefer a 4L60E but the cons outweigh the rare ones that last since I don't want to mess with the harness adapter, flexplate, driveshaft shortening, modifying the Xmemeber(this is the easiest part since I'm a welder)

10. Tuner. I thought Blackbear, but there are a bunch of other tuners and I just want something simple and to correctly run what I have before the turbo kit. It will be a while before I get the turbo kit, so it will need to be tuned again.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This is supposed to be a DD, not a race truck.

Throw a PD blower on it and be done. Everything else can be stock.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

What is the advantage of that PD blower(centrifugal or Roots) over Turbo besides being more expensive and seem limited in power. I also don't like the fact that a blower uses power to make power and they are running 100% of the time.

By doing a blower you still should do all those mods no matter what power adder whether NA or boost, correct?
Old 11-20-2015, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Do you realize how many stock short block, small cam only motors are running around with a mild turbo setup on them that are daily driven (mine included), that live and live and live? Most failures are from people doing stupid stuff, like screwing up the tune or acting a fool.

Cams aren't that important with mild turbos setup. One click on the boost controller will make more power then a cam swap to a bigger cam. I think you're making this WAY more complicated then it needs to be. Been messing with these trucks and turbo for about 10 years now

Oh, and head stud only is sole dependent on what hear block you have.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Do you realize how many stock short block, small cam only motors are running around with a mild turbo setup on them that are daily driven (mine included), that live and live and live? Most failures are from people doing stupid stuff, like screwing up the tune or acting a fool.

Cams aren't that important with mild turbos setup. One click on the boost controller will make more power then a cam swap to a bigger cam. I think you're making this WAY more complicated then it needs to be. Been messing with these trucks and turbo for about 10 years now

Oh, and head stud only is sole dependent on what hear block you have.
Well I'm just very cautious since. I'd rather spend a little extra time and money to make a better performing truck and getting a little more peace of mind for reliability. I'm really glad to hear that you've got the time and experience in on a mild boosted DD.

I would like to still put a slightly better cam, springs, LS7 lifters and Trunion kit. Do you have a suggestion on a slightly better cam?

Do you think a 60E or 80E for a mild turbo set up? What are you running and what are your experiences with tranny and converter set ups? A lot of conflicting opinions here. High stall, low stall, tight, loose, single or multi disc.....

I don't mind pulling the heads just to put in some studs and LS9 gaskets for more boost if wanted for the future no matter what year I have. This guys says he'd suggest a 04-06 block but really isn't that big of deal. I'm thinking a 02+ for the fact of the full 4-door Ext. Cab and Ive read they were a better block.

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppy...unkyardturbols

Overall I am NOT a person who notices small performance upgrades so if a cam isn't going to help much or a converter won't give me that much notice for performance thats fine. I just want as reliable of a DD while being fun as much as possible. I get that this is all after market stuff and I'm prepared to fix broken parts, just also figure if I'm going to spend this amount of time and money I might as well make it pretty good for the HP range I'm wanting. I will probably only take it to the strip once just to see what it does. I've been drag racing all my DD for fun, just not that into it all the time. So I doubt a trans or motor will be pushed that hard all the time to be breaking stuff, I just want to beat up on some mustangs and smoke some tires every once in a while

Last edited by YAMAHAGUY; 11-20-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Go read my build thread.

Bone stock engine

stock trans and fuel injectors made over 400 just fine.

Your really going over kill here
Old 11-20-2015, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 403 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
Go read my build thread.

Bone stock engine

stock trans and fuel injectors made over 400 just fine.

Your really going over kill here
Which kit are you running?

Edit. Never mind, I already read your build thread... lol..
Old 10-15-2016, 05:07 AM
Come Get Some!!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
Go read my build thread.
Link?