INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

383 stroker build questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 stroker build questions

alrighty so to start off with im going to be putting this 383 in a lifted truck that ill be towing and offroading in and dd that can run pump gas.im on a $3000 dollar budget and ill be using a 350 4 bolt main block.I could use some help with the tech side of this etc.What rotating assembly to go with,Heads,cam,compression,Intake, Carburetor etc?Ive done alot of research online and thought of a couple but would like some input for my specific application im wanting about 450-500hp and somewhere around in torque,Can this be done?? Been looking at getting the eagle Eagle B1345L stroker assembly,with some edelbrock heads?am I going in the right direction,Cam size?,intake,carburetor?what type of machine work exactly heard of the diy stroke but not sure?im wanting pretty much all around power maybe some more bottom end.
thanks,Josh

Last edited by Mudriser; 12-16-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome, almost everything on here is all GEN III and newer so that's why you heard crickets to your question. In all the looking this is what I've found. I think you can hit your budget if you do it right. The most important thing is make sure if you have anyone do something for you they need to have proof of doing it before and show that they were successful. If they can't back it up it's all hot air, you're not being mean you just don't want to get less than you were promised.

This is the best combo I've found for torque if you stick to a carb you might hit you budget. Shop around on ebay for the block and carb. Don't spend a penny on an expensive head use the good old GM vortec. Search around, your best money spent past the correct rotating assembly is for someone to clean up your heads (a little port and polish on them, nothing extensive is necessary just clean them up) with a good cam that is specd to match your PP heads you should easily be 460HP/535 TQ with all the bottom end you could ask for.

651 HP 406 ci AFR 180 cc

here's the best 383 but it might be over the budget.

GM HT383 Crate Small-Block - Engine Build - Hot Rod Magazine

If you get into anything EFI or jump up to a 6.0 or a 5.3. They won't have as much off idle power as the vortec (pretty close though) but both have a ton more top end and potential than any 5.7 older engines for far less money.

After 6 years of reading a looking through everything I can find the most bang for the buck I have decided on would be a good junk yard 4.8, properly sized turbo, and a built 4L70E tranny.

If I wanted to stay NA and be able to run 87 octane(with a great tune) I would go with a used L76 eingine swap.

Good luck with everything