Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
The cars are more performance oriented and so are the drivers who usually drive them. It is my guess the trucks are tuned differently to allow people like my wife and grandparents and workers IE the masses drive them to reduce complaints of touchy throttle and squalling tires on take off. Laugh as you may I have seen these exact complaints first hand.

There are very few out there like us that ever notice the doggy throttle and **** poor outta the hole performance. Even more in the minority are those of us who understand what the computer is doing while it's happening that even further aggarvates those of us in the know.
I understand what you are saying and I figured it came down to something like that. We should have the option of the "old man" or "how a truck should drive" calibration from the dealer, instead of them picking for us.

I will say after driving a 14' 5.3l and two 14' 6.2l trucks back to back, the 6.2 has allot less lag.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GMT900's that got the 6 speed trans and 5.3 engine were "searching" like crazy for gears. I absolutely HATED my 2012 crew cab 5.3 6 spd for that very reason and is a big reason I traded it. I couldn't stand the feeling of it and it was a far cry form the previous 4 spd trans. My 2013 6.2/6spd was not nearly as bad about searching for gears because it had the torque to pull any gear it was in, so much so that it wouldn't downshift unless I gave it a pretty good amount of throttle, but honestly, it didn't have to. It would pull the mountain in 6th gear and never downshift and it didn't lose speed either. It seemed to always be in the right gear. The only other truck that I've owned that would do that was my 07 Duramax. The only time my 13 6.2 truck really aggravated me was stabbing the throttle, it would blow the tires away and if I tried to feather the gas to gain it back, it would stay in first gear, the tires would stop spinning and it would just whine the rpms up instead of just hitting 2nd gear and letting me feed it throttle off and on to gain it back. Another part of that equation was the traction control/Stabilitrak. No matter if you turned it off the Stabilitrak system would re-engage once the wheel speed hit 35 mph again.

My 14 6.2/6 spd does search alittle more than my 13 6.2 truck, but it's so much smoother and quicker to respond versus the 12 5.3/6 spd. The 14's are much more refined. But they definitely are laggy in terms of throttle response to a Camaro, Mustang, Vette, etc. Of course they are also 5700+ lbs and could probably start breaking drivetrain parts if you could pour the coals to it all at once.