Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

ecotec 5.3 mpg real world

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecotec 5.3 mpg real world

This week I had the privelage to make a trip in a 14 crew cab 4x4 full size bed with 5.3 and 3.42s. It had All terrain pkg so had aluminum 20s on it. I cleared the mpg guage and checked it via computer of truck and after the 400mile mark with cruise set to 80mph going through Nashville and about 100 miles of stop n go it got 18.9mpg!! I started home and it never changed stayed on 18.9. Also checked compter with calculater and its dead on!! My personal truck is a 10 ccsb 3.73s and 6.2 ran 8.90 at track tune and muffler only. Ive driven and tuned alot of these trucks and this new engine is very impressive!! It almost never kicked down to pull a hill and effortlessly made the journey up the parkway to Centertown KY!! I willnot be surprised to see some trucks in the flat lands of TX get up to 25 or 26 tuned!! Im ordering my ccsb 14 6.2 monday and am super pumped about improvments to the new engine because if they improved it as much as the 5.3 then its gonna be a beast!!! Normally a untuned 5.3 with 3..42s would barely chirp tires from a dead stop wit no power braking and this new engine with lower torque will just murder tires up to nearly 4500rpm from a stop just nailing it!! Overall I was very impressed with truck!! Interior is way diff than my 10 but very comfy and radio is badass!! Intelelink is really intelligent and will play youtube videos audio, rewind pause or fast forward any radio station just wrks really smooh and very easy to figure out!! Mine stayed bluetoothed to my Iphone the Entire time!! Truck is SUPER quiet!! Really unbelievably quiet!! Zero road noise at 80mph!! From what I have learned you can get any gear ratio if you order it so not sure what 3.73s wouldve done to mpg but I kinda think it would help pull it in v4 longer!! No complaints from me at all!! Best GM truck ever made by far!!! My 2010 has 215,000 on it now so time to sell and upgrade!! Cant wait!!! Let me hear other experiences if you have time!! Thanks

Last edited by LANCE ATKINSON; 09-21-2013 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Launching!

Good to hear! You log a lot of miles to have 215 on a 2010!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LANCE ATKINSON
This week I had the privelage to make a trip in a 14 crew cab 4x4 full size bed with 5.3 and 3.42s. It had All terrain pkg so had aluminum 20s on it. I cleared the mpg guage and checked it via computer of truck and after the 400mile mark with cruise set to 80mph going through Nashville and about 100 miles of stop n go it got 18.9mpg!! I started home and it never changed stayed on 18.9. Also checked compter with calculater and its dead on!! My personal truck is a 10 ccsb 3.73s and 6.2 ran 8.90 at track tune and muffler only. Ive driven and tuned alot of these trucks and this new engine is very impressive!! It almost never kicked down to pull a hill and effortlessly made the journey up the parkway to Centertown KY!! I willnot be surprised to see some trucks in the flat lands of TX get up to 25 or 26 tuned!! Im ordering my ccsb 14 6.2 monday and am super pumped about improvments to the new engine because if they improved it as much as the 5.3 then its gonna be a beast!!! Normally a untuned 5.3 with 3..42s would barely chirp tires from a dead stop wit no power braking and this new engine with lower torque will just murder tires up to nearly 4500rpm from a stop just nailing it!! Overall I was very impressed with truck!! Interior is way diff than my 10 but very comfy and radio is badass!! Intelelink is really intelligent and will play youtube videos audio, rewind pause or fast forward any radio station just wrks really smooh and very easy to figure out!! Mine stayed bluetoothed to my Iphone the Entire time!! Truck is SUPER quiet!! Really unbelievably quiet!! Zero road noise at 80mph!! From what I have learned you can get any gear ratio if you order it so not sure what 3.73s wouldve done to mpg but I kinda think it would help pull it in v4 longer!! No complaints from me at all!! Best GM truck ever made by far!!! My 2010 has 215,000 on it now so time to sell and upgrade!! Cant wait!!! Let me hear other experiences if you have time!! Thanks

Great reporting,truck sounds much more refined and impressive little 5.3
Learned a 3.73 can be ordered with a 5.3?
Im betting it will be availible for the 6.2
Old 09-22-2013, 12:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LANCE ATKINSON

How nice is you 010 with 215k mi? what is it worth?
Old 09-22-2013, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

They are telln me they will put 17 into trade in. Thats without tlkn money on the new truck yet. It has minor things like dime size dent in tailgate and LR fender few rock chips 20" denalis have few scratches but just from use not abuse!!

Last edited by LANCE ATKINSON; 09-22-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Added to
Old 09-22-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

So you are saying its worth 17K hard money? You can grind them down to a nothing deal on a 014 or say $500 over net cost

At that point they will give you 17K if you decided to trade? AMAZING,thats a **** load of $,cuz of the miles
Old 09-22-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I hope they will do the same for me next year with my 2011 with 169,000 miles and climbing. I'll probably have about 215,000 or more by the time they come out with rebates on the 14's. I haven't even replaced the brakes on mine yet, no complaints at all!! Very anxious to see the new 6.2 against my truck. I'm sure me and LANCE ATKINSON will have multiple videos of the two....
Old 09-22-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

hearing those numbers kinda concretes my thoughts on getting the RCSB /w a 5.3 for a daily driver and making my '10 a less practical toy
Old 10-07-2013, 01:04 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

See what a little low rpm torque does. A nice benefit of DI. The LT1 6.2 out-torques the 7.0 LS7 under 4000rpm.

peace
Hog
Old 10-09-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Well my dad bought a white diamond gmc z71 CCSB today! It's really nice!! He got about 20mpg going home on a two lane road with some hills. It's a 5.3 with 3.42's. LANCE ATKINSON and our tuner has already done some tuning on one from our county sheriffs dept. Said it felt pretty good!! I'm sure they will have my dads within the week! I would post a pic but I'm away from home and all I have is my cell phone and can't upload pics from it..

Quick Reply: ecotec 5.3 mpg real world