Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Cool thread I came across, headers/exh vs stock

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 01:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Cool thread I came across, headers/exh vs stock

Edit: the header truck also had cats, may have gotten a couple more ponies catless..

In case y'all were wondering how much of a difference headers and exh make. This is on a 6.2 should be similar power gain with a 5.3 especially considering the 6.2 starts out with larger exhaust to begin with. If the 6.2 had the same size exh as the 5.3 the gains would be larger for the 6.2, but since it does come with larger exh you should see a very similar gain with the 5.3 as these 6.2's got.

Different trucks but the same tuner so it will be the same dyno as well. Super close to apples to apples, close enough for me anyway.

I've also seen several tuners say that headers and y pipe alone add around 25. As always if you don't do a cat back at least cut out the flapper at minimum and if you don't do headers replacing the stock muffler with a straight through muffler is worth a bit of power as well. With headers, everyone hates all the aftermarket mufflers and all the sound clips I have heard.. they're just too loud. Buddy of mine and respected tuner/builder said the only way to get them quite enough with aftermarket mufflers is to double stack mufflers.. that gets expensive.. But a stock 6.2 catback for $100 or less and two mufflers cut into it is less expensive than an aftermarket full system and will still be 3.5", and quiet/no drone.. win win.

Anyway, on with the show.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...stock-exhaust/

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 07-23-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Holy crap! Nice. I bet I could expect some good numbers on my little engine that could considering. Btw, hired a new tech and he's killing it in the field so I actually unloaded about 600lbs of tools and parts out of my truck yesterday. Liking it!
Old 07-23-2019, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyonevtried the Stainless works true dual system? Im curious the difference of a single 3.5 to dual 3. I think thats the route id try when the time comes
Old 07-23-2019, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 765 Likes on 535 Posts

I'd love to but not if it drones.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiHunter
Anyonevtried the Stainless works true dual system? Im curious the difference of a single 3.5 to dual 3. I think thats the route id try when the time comes
@RedXray
Old 07-24-2019, 11:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
Holy crap! Nice. I bet I could expect some good numbers on my little engine that could considering. Btw, hired a new tech and he's killing it in the field so I actually unloaded about 600lbs of tools and parts out of my truck yesterday. Liking it!
You're gains will be higher, you have more air flow going through that bottle neck right now.

And nice on the tech man, good help is hard to find. 600 lbs is a ton, bet that truck is a blast right now. Have you already ordered a new set of rear tires
Old 07-24-2019, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Received 204 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiHunter
Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
I'd love to but not if it drones.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...xhaust-554901/
I love it. No drone. With the Jones Turbine 3030XL mufflers and Vibrant Performance "race mufflers"
Old 07-24-2019, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Have you already ordered a new set of rear tires
4wd ftw
Old 07-25-2019, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Received 204 Likes on 104 Posts

Haha. No, not yet. In general I'm pretty lite footed, mostly use the power for passing people. I hope to get 70k out of those tires.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
Have you already ordered a new set of rear tires
4wd ftw
Oh I remember it's 4wd, but steering with the back tires is much more fun sometimes that hooking everywhere. Thought maybe you been playing with it.

Originally Posted by FabAddict
Haha. No, not yet. In general I'm pretty lite footed, mostly use the power for passing people. I hope to get 70k out of those tires.
He was responding to what I said about ordering rear tires. But 70k out of a set!!??? Holy crap I think the most I have EVER gotten was mid 20's. But I like to have fun. I keep tire companies in business for sure. For the last 20 years a year and a half is the longest I have ever had a set last. Yes, I realize I'm a retard. lol. I think I am starting to grow out of it with my current set, maybe.

One of my biggest things is I cannot stand driving in the rain on tires that are near worn out so I'm not a stretch out the mileage type of guy. To me it's not worth wrecking the car due to a hydroplane. Was riding with a friend one time in the rain that was a stretch it out kind of guy (he was driving) and we hydroplaned and hit a concrete wall head on at around 70 mph. That was almost 20 years ago, ever since I've tried to keep tires with a lot of tread on my cars and once the tread gets in the lower range I try to go through them quick and get back to a good high tread set ASAP. Except when I had drag radials, but I wouldn't go over 25 mph in the rain with them since they come with low tread when brand new.

I'm not necessarily nice to tires in the beginning and once they are close to worn out I am less nice to them then take the vehicle in and get a mileage warranty on the tires and pay around 50% of the cost of the new set. I try to always get tires with 60-70k mileage warranties then I go through them in around 25-30k max and get a new set and ask the guys to honor the mileage warranty where I bought them (even when I was doing tire warranties for people I was buying tires from discount.. long story as to why), then like I said it costs me around 50% of what they would normally cost. Then I pretty much at all times have excellent tires. You guys stretching them out are driving around with low tread for the last 20-30 or so thousand miles and paying 100% of the price of the tires.. Again I've hydroplaned and been in hydroplane wrecks so I'll never get 70k out of a set, I replace them long before they are dangerous and they will be dangerous stretching them to 70k. I would feel bad but I've seen women, kids, moms, dads, grandmas go through tires in 20-30k and I've spent a good portion of my life on the phone honoring tire warranties with tire manufacturers. So I'm not really scamming the system. I'm using the system they offer.

To each their own, not trying to be a dick to anyone, just some food for thought. I've also been in the tire industry for over 20 years and been to michelin's proving grounds for a week long training course so I just have a much different outlook on tires than most.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 07-25-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Cool thread I came across, headers/exh vs stock