Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Anyone done a 6.2 swap from a 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
I like your plan and God bless your wife for having your back on everything that's just awesome. Well if and when it ever happens maybe I could just load my truck so they are equal weight. That way it would be a good comparison. All in fun anyway I don't take it that seriously lol. Now, power lifting? Different story! Verrry seriously.
Haha all sounds good man, if nothing else I'd like to check out your truck some day anyway. As for taking it serious, it's all fun for me, my only competition is myself anyway I don't worry about others too much.

Originally Posted by Zman82
Yeah definitely do a cam before it goes in. One of those mods thats all about labor and is 100x easier if you have the motor out
Hell yeah and if I need to I can turn the motor upside down etc. It's a no brainer for sure.

Originally Posted by Choda
For sake of convo. My stock truck did 9.0 at 77. With cat back, intake and ecm / tcm tune it went 8.8 at 78 and a 13.8 at 99 in the 1/4.

These trucks come pretty well off from the factory.
Thanks man, I should do a TNT night at some point and see how my truck compares.

To be completely honest the main reason I want a 6.2 is because I've never had the ability to get exactly what I want, kids mortgage etc have always come first so I always had high mileage cars that were near 10 years old when I bought them, not horrible by any means don't get me wrong. So when my wife and kids started trying to convince me to get a new truck (the last one suffered the most and was getting real rough) I told them I would but my number 1 priority was getting a 6.2. We went and looked at new and it was gonna be 700-800 a month. I couldn't bring myself to stretch our budget that far, we could have done it but I'd like to be able to get the wife a nice ride too so I found a cheap truck. So, if I can run 6.2 numbers I may back off doing the swap, but we we've also been fortunate and some bills dropped off so I may be able to get her her car and the 6.2 anyway. We'll see over the next 6-10 months or so and I'll make my decision then. We have something major coming up early next year and it can go one of two ways, really really good for us or really really bad.. hoping for good and trying to gather info now in case I can move forward on the swap.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
For sake of convo. My stock truck did 9.0 at 77. With cat back, intake and ecm / tcm tune it went 8.8 at 78 and a 13.8 at 99 in the 1/4.

These trucks come pretty well off from the factory.
Very nice!
Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Haha all sounds good man, if nothing else I'd like to check out your truck some day anyway. As for taking it serious, it's all fun for me, my only competition is myself anyway I don't worry about others too much.

Hell yeah and if I need to I can turn the motor upside down etc. It's a no brainer for sure.

Thanks man, I should do a TNT night at some point and see how my truck compares.

To be completely honest the main reason I want a 6.2 is because I've never had the ability to get exactly what I want, kids mortgage etc have always come first so I always had high mileage cars that were near 10 years old when I bought them, not horrible by any means don't get me wrong. So when my wife and kids started trying to convince me to get a new truck (the last one suffered the most and was getting real rough) I told them I would but my number 1 priority was getting a 6.2. We went and looked at new and it was gonna be 700-800 a month. I couldn't bring myself to stretch our budget that far, we could have done it but I'd like to be able to get the wife a nice ride too so I found a cheap truck. So, if I can run 6.2 numbers I may back off doing the swap, but we we've also been fortunate and some bills dropped off so I may be able to get her her car and the 6.2 anyway. We'll see over the next 6-10 months or so and I'll make my decision then. We have something major coming up early next year and it can go one of two ways, really really good for us or really really bad.. hoping for good and trying to gather info now in case I can move forward on the swap.
Sending prayers your way for next year buddy! And I would just be patient and do it when you can. I mean your truck runs good already but you may as well get what you want out of life even if there is a wait.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
Very nice!

Sending prayers your way for next year buddy! And I would just be patient and do it when you can. I mean your truck runs good already but you may as well get what you want out of life even if there is a wait.
Thank you, very kind of you and much needed.

It does run good and I'm happy, but I can't leave anything alone. Here soon I'm gonna make my own anti wrap/traction bar for the rear end to keep it from wrapping on the leaf springs. I get a vibration between 50-60 mph at heavy throttle and all I can't find anything wrong so the only thing it should be is that when the pinion stands up it's causing the vibration, so I'm gonna build a bar and see if it stops it.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

00PooterSS

You might get an easy answer for a 5.3 to 6.2 swap by calling speartech,they are the top of the food chain for conversions and late late model harness building,they could just pop off an easy answer. https://www.speartech.com/
Old 09-20-2018, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.2
00PooterSS

You might get an easy answer for a 5.3 to 6.2 swap by calling speartech,they are the top of the food chain for conversions and late late model harness building,they could just pop off an easy answer. https://www.speartech.com/

Hey thanks man, I appreciate the lead. I called but they are out till Monday. I'll call them next week and post up what I find out.

The easiest thing I could do is just trade you trucks, yours is already all setup for me! lol
Old 09-20-2018, 07:17 PM
TECH Veteran

It needs tires,geez imagine that,,I have a winter set on black same wheels one size bigger BFGs Now those I try and baby,the street tires I buy a set of new take offs dirt cheap and dont care if they get there feelings hurt.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.2
It needs tires,geez imagine that,,I have a winter set on black same wheels one size bigger BFGs Now those I try and baby,the street tires I buy a set of new take offs dirt cheap and dont care if they get there feelings hurt.

It needs tires? Well screw that, no deal!

LOL I hear ya on the take offs, if I had the power you do I'd lay rubber all day every day too. Small price to pay for that much enjoyment.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
It needs tires? Well screw that, no deal!

LOL I hear ya on the take offs, if I had the power you do I'd lay rubber all day every day too. Small price to pay for that much enjoyment.

EXACTLY! The truck owes me nothing ,if it dropped a valve or slipped the trans broke or burned it up well I cant complain.Just tear it down make it better.Now I dont beat on it like some that hold in one spot and make a smoke show,that justy eats tires and heats up and abuses diff and brakes ect.,the tires are worn do to walk into it tire burns and in certain conditions it will burn through 2nd.what i like and do often is ease from a stop when it shifts to 2nd give about 1/8-1/4 throttle and it will begin to spin,could give it more or not for a little burn.Its fun love this truck never an issue,in the past usually went to the new Gen truck after the first year,no plans to this time around, number one reason cant tune them,it maybe a while and I believe a new new gen of engines are coming,lets see what the c8 brings might be a clue.