Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Another Header Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another Header Question

So I am ordering a D1X this week. I have been looking at headers and the Texas Speed units are half the money of the ARH units with cats. Are they worth it? I will spend the money if I can justify it. I DD my tuck and really don't care to have issues with leaks. I have heard that the ARH's look better after a year of being run but?

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the texas speeds are china made, the ARH/Kooks are made in the states. the header to y-pipe on the texas speed is a slip fit and ARH/Kooks are ball and socket.

If i were you (and i should have done this too) is pickup a set of used Kooks or ARH headers. (PS, i have a set of kooks for sale, zero issues just stocked out most of the truck)
Old 09-11-2017, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Arh or kooks
Old 09-11-2017, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by volcom
the texas speeds are china made, the ARH/Kooks are made in the states. the header to y-pipe on the texas speed is a slip fit and ARH/Kooks are ball and socket.

If i were you (and i should have done this too) is pickup a set of used Kooks or ARH headers. (PS, i have a set of kooks for sale, zero issues just stocked out most of the truck)

I will bite. PM sent.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Well I ordered a set of Kooks from RPMSpeed. they were $200 cheaper then Jegs. Going to order the Pro Charger from them today. They are $200-$500 cheaper than anyone else I have shopped. Great guys to work with so far!
Old 09-20-2017, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

Well I received my headers yesterday. I was a little disappointed that there was not an extra bung for a wideband and I did not see any clamps for the slip sections of the mid pipe. I guess I will call Kook's today. I was happy to see the Stage 8 header bolts and the cometic header gaskets.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by volcom

Some of the chinese stuff is pretty good/getting better to where I'm not as concerned, quality control is more of what I worry about there and would think Texas Speed stays on top of it. I'm looking at getting headers for mine as well (2014 5.3 CC) and looking at Speed Engineering and Texas Speed. Has anyone had issues with those?

Also, if the Kooks are still for sale, how much you asking for them?
Old 01-22-2018, 03:09 PM
KickinAssAndTakinNames

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ran pacesetters on my old truck, zero issues after 5 years and still looked great.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:13 PM
KickinAssAndTakinNames

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-22-2018, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by colekill
i ran pacesetters on my old truck, zero issues after 5 years and still looked great.
Pacesetter has a long standing good rep too. Those headers and especially the flanges look extra beefy.

I was really looking for feedback on headers for the 14+ trucks though. Can't find much of anything so far.

The texas speed header and y pipe set is only $10 more than pacesetter and that's the main two I was considering.