Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Remove spring leaf to lower rear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing a flip kit it wont help with hieght wise because the pack is under the axle.

when you remove it before the flip kit it lowers it maybe an inch but thats only because the leaf pack is on top.

If you want to go lower put shackles on it. Easier than swaping/removing leaf springs.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know this is an old thread but im interested to see if anyone has done this.. Im about to pull that lower (big ***) leaf and see if that smoothes the ride out a bit.. I have 4/7 and airbags and it still rides like **** but only in the back. I have streetperf drop shocks and it is bouncy as hell.. stiff legged too..
Old 06-20-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ig109
I know this is an old thread but im interested to see if anyone has done this.. Im about to pull that lower (big ***) leaf and see if that smoothes the ride out a bit.. I have 4/7 and airbags and it still rides like **** but only in the back. I have streetperf drop shocks and it is bouncy as hell.. stiff legged too..
Read what I posted just above you, it won't work with a flip kit and I have helper bags too and when you have air in them its going to make for a stiffer ride because its putting presure on the leaf springs.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wasnt referring to the lowering as much as i was the smoother ride.. It was my assumption that the truck would ride pretty close to stock with a flip.. however this thing rides as though it has NO SPRINGS.. only tires to give.. also it takes approximately 500 lbs to make the truck sag more than an inch. I thought perhaps i had the shackle bolts too tight and in a bind.. nope.. Thought the bags were doing it, removed them.. no diff.. thought it was the shitty shocks.. nope.. im out of options, there is no way they all ride this badly, how are you all affording the chiropractor bills..
Old 06-20-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wasnt referring to the lowering as much as i was the smoother ride.. It was my assumption that the truck would ride pretty close to stock with a flip.. however this thing rides as though it has NO SPRINGS.. only tires to give.. also it takes approximately 500 lbs to make the truck sag more than an inch. I thought perhaps i had the shackle bolts too tight and in a bind.. nope.. Thought the bags were doing it, removed them.. no diff.. thought it was the shitty shocks.. nope.. im out of options, there is no way they all ride this badly, how are you all affording the chiropractor bills..
Mine isn't a damn Caddy, I knew how it was goign to ride lowering it and I drive on Shtty county roads and in pastures a lot.

Not a whole lot you can do but change a few things or slow down.

What kind of shocks do you have now? Brand of drop?
Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08Chevy
Mine isn't a damn Caddy, I knew how it was goign to ride lowering it and I drive on Shtty county roads and in pastures a lot.

Not a whole lot you can do but change a few things or slow down.

What kind of shocks do you have now? Brand of drop?
Same road same speed every day, country highway if you will.. All the bumps are small and un noticeable in every other truck ive been in.. even other lowered trucks (including a slammed out ranger)

Drop is spindles springs up front and a simple weld on perch in the rear for a flip.. Stock springs, stock shackles..

Street Performace shocks now..
Old 06-24-2011, 06:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Against everyone's suggestion i pulled the lower leaf from the trucks rear spring pack last night.. Rides better than stock now.. Just so everyone knows..
Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Launching!

with or witout the helper bags?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Against everyone's suggestion i pulled the lower leaf from the trucks rear spring pack last night.. Rides better than stock now.. Just so everyone knows..
The overload spring? and do you tow anything?