Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Remove spring leaf to lower rear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove spring leaf to lower rear?

I did a few searches and came up empty. I have an '08 Silverado that I lowerd in the back with a flip kit. What I'm wondering is has anyone removed a spring leaf from the rear spring pack for any reason (further lowering, smooth out the ride, whatever). If so, which spring did you remove (bottom, middle?) and what were the results? I'm looking to smooth out the ride some and don't put much of anything in the bed as far as hauling stuff.

Thanks for any insight ...Larry S.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you notched? are you running a drop shock? did you put a air shock instead? if you pull a leaf it has to be the over load leaf (the very bottom one) then its going to be a 8-8.5" drop if all you have is a flip kit (7")
Old 09-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct.. The over load leaf is the only one that can come out..
Old 09-03-2010, 01:18 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a flip kit though, removing the overload leaf won't really net you much drop. Since the spring pack is now under the axle, the thickness of the bottom leaf isn't affecting the height of the truck, only the support that the overload leaf offers affects height (which shouldn't be much at all in an unloaded situation).
Old 09-03-2010, 01:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DV2000NJ
With a flip kit though, removing the overload leaf won't really net you much drop. Since the spring pack is now under the axle, the thickness of the bottom leaf isn't affecting the height of the truck, only the support that the overload leaf offers affects height (which shouldn't be much at all in an unloaded situation).
true...sorry i wasnt thinking. if anything itll allow the spring to have a wave to it right? i dunno i never rode around with a pulled leaf.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
are you notched? are you running a drop shock? did you put a air shock instead? if you pull a leaf it has to be the over load leaf (the very bottom one) then its going to be a 8-8.5" drop if all you have is a flip kit (7")
Pulling the overload (the flat one) wont net any drop at all. It just acts as a support for your leafs if you have a lot of weight in the bed, hence being an overload spring.

I'd look at different shocks to smooth the ride out if its too harsh or bouncy, whatever your concern is.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

only reason to remove an over load spring is if your doin a drag setup that no longer lets you put crap in the bed
Old 09-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slammedsilvy
Pulling the overload (the flat one) wont net any drop at all. It just acts as a support for your leafs if you have a lot of weight in the bed, hence being an overload spring.

I'd look at different shocks to smooth the ride out if its too harsh or bouncy, whatever your concern is.
You meant that on a flip kit correct? Because on a regular non flipkit setup, removing the overload WILL net about an inch of drop
Old 09-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

actually u can take out the middle spring and put a spacer and leave the overload in so u dont get axle wrap or as much wheel hop.. plus u can still tow a lil bit of weight.. and still gives u bout a 3.5 inch drop..
Old 09-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies. Y'all pretty much comfirmed my thoughts. Still looking for anyone who has actually done this though.

... Larry S.

Quick Reply: Remove spring leaf to lower rear?