Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Oil Analysis After Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:42 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iron and Copper are high for the mileage.The TBN looks ok,but for only 3,000 miles of use,it could be alittle better in my opinion.Then again,every engine wears alittle different than others,some more than others.
I would personally try a PAO based oil like Amsoil ASL or ATM and then send another sample.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cjlee13
How much do you pay for RP? Why not run amsoil for that money?

Edit: what filter did you use with it?
Thanks for sharing it!
I pay just shy of $8 a bottle and I use the K&N Gold oil filter or wix depending what store I'm at.
I havent really checked into Amsoil but from what I recall its fairly expensive around here

Originally Posted by Kemble
Changing it at 3K miles he could run plain old conventional with the same results.
your right I probly could use conventional, but I dont really want too. I try not to question if I'm wasting money haha

Require dexos. That is atleast syn blend.
actually mine being a 2010 was before the "Dexos" requirements, however the wifes cruze requires Dexos 2 which even Royal Purple doesnt have that yet

Originally Posted by Wheatley
Iron and Copper are high for the mileage.The TBN looks ok,but for only 3,000 miles of use,it could be alittle better in my opinion.Then again,every engine wears alittle different than others,some more than others.
I would personally try a PAO based oil like Amsoil ASL or ATM and then send another sample.
so you dont think the high iron and copper would be from the new parts? I've currently got Royal Purple in again currently and I'll send a sample on that, repost the results but in the meantime I'm gonna look up what PAO is and Ill check those 2 oils out
Old 07-26-2013, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ive basically been experimenting with oils as I go along, I run a different one in each engine and see the results. but until now...I didnt have any analysed so my opinion really isnt worth a damn and considering its based visually just another reason why I have no say.
however within a couple months or so I should have some comparisons!
I've been putting Castrol Syntec in my grandmothers escape since new, and i'll get a sample next oil change
and in the wifes cruze Ive been running mobil 1 since new and i'll get a sample of that
Old 07-26-2013, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by AUTOT3K
Ive basically been experimenting with oils as I go along, I run a different one in each engine and see the results. but until now...I didnt have any analysed so my opinion really isnt worth a damn and considering its based visually just another reason why I have no say.
however within a couple months or so I should have some comparisons!
I've been putting Castrol Syntec in my grandmothers escape since new, and i'll get a sample next oil change
and in the wifes cruze Ive been running mobil 1 since new and i'll get a sample of that
Haha you putting all different brands in each cars!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Haha you putting all different brands in each cars!
just trying to see what works.
I ran Rotella T in my 383 stroker from new and wasnt pleased with the bearing wear and sludge
I ran Quaker State synthetic in my 4.3L s10 (bought off my dad) since new and when I had that apart it looked fairly decent but I wasnt to pleased with the valve train noise at about 100K mi
so with my 5.3 and the wifes cruze, why not try a couple of the two top brands. when I had mine all apart for the cam swap the inside was spotless!
and the grandmother runs castrol cause its always on sale at wal-mart
Old 07-26-2013, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

My 04 did best on pennzoil platinum.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:34 AM

Good to hear, i havent decide which oil to use ob my 5.3 yet. That helps.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kemble
My 04 did best on pennzoil platinum.
agree my old 4.3 PP was the best for it as it got rid of some of the ticking it had. so thats all my 05 is getting along with a good filter.