Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

An odd side clunk noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An odd side clunk noise

Hey peeps. So i have the GM clunk(splines need to be greesed) already addressed, but theres another funky noise going on. So, its the standard nothing fancy drum brake 10 bolt w/G80 internals. drum shoes were done jan. this year. and when I was in there it was all good nothing odd or even leaking.

So say I am going up a steep driveway at an angle, causing my suspension to articulate. when I go up, the truck wants to slide to the left as the suspension is pushing up from the steep driveway. This sideways motion causes a clunk. If I let the butt of the truck loose and slide, then gain grip, the extra little jiggle causes a clunk. when i had the rear end jacked up, i kept the wheels on, I grabbed them and pulled outward and away from the pumpkin, and I get a clunk. its almost like the c-clips are worn and maybe half the thickness causing end play of the drive shafts. Now, is that possible? I don't think the clips are gone, because im sure those drum brakes would have not held the shaft in its place. Other question, should there be end play at the wheel? I wanna say this started happening earlier this year around September. Mind you I put 2k miles on my truck from April to September because i bought a motorcycle. the only time im sideways is if its wet out or snow out(the tires on this truck are in wet, makes me feel like i got so much power i have hookup issues haha) Thanks in advance peoples.

ps, if your in Illinois, i got a thread started in the central & Northern region about getting a group together soon for in-person tune from one of our sponsors.