Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

My Sleeper Idea

Old 09-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
Suh-WEET! Good job on the planning, the build, and the PRICE! Can't wait to hear some 1/4 mile times when you get all tuned and set up. Vids, even ....
Thank you sir!! My daily drive I sit through 20 stop lights. So I spend alot of time from idle to 3500RPM.

I have also noticed that my trans temps are the same they were with the 6.0 even with the sprinted driving. Im currently going through the first tank of gas with the 6.0L. Right now its getting the same MPG as the 4.8L.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Quick update!! Im still not tuned and dont have the catback on yet. I have run 2 tanks of gas through the truck and its getting 14.2 MPG consistent. The 4.8 got 14.8mpg!
Old 10-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

I ran a friend of mine last night in his 88 gt mustang. The car ran a 14.1@98 before he installed a explorer intake,cai,c&L 73mm and 24lb injectors. He says he thinks he traps around 101 based on the people he has raced. We raced from 20-100 and he pulled me by 2 lengths. So I decided that after the trans cooler gets here Im gonna take it to the track and do a apples to apples comparison.

Then go back after the catback and tune.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

my 01 rcsb with lq4 block, 243 heads, ls2 cam, pacesetter long tubes, and intake runs 14.0 consistently.

thats stock converter, and 3.42 rear gear with open diff, that spinning off the line.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by brewster240
my 01 rcsb with lq4 block, 243 heads, ls2 cam, pacesetter long tubes, and intake runs 14.0 consistently.

thats stock converter, and 3.42 rear gear with open diff, that spinning off the line.
Do you remember the mph?

Wish I had your curb weight.

I'm hoping for 14.89 or quicker as is and 96 or quicker as is.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

i dont remember mph and i lost the time slips.

how much heavier is your truck?
Old 10-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by brewster240
i dont remember mph and i lost the time slips.

how much heavier is your truck?
quick search online says yours curb weight is 41xx mine is 45xx.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Mad planning skills man...I would have blown it and been done with it.

Hope you have fun with it.

But remember, you're only beating people cause you changed your engine

Old 10-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jordan927
Mad planning skills man...I would have blown it and been done with it.

Hope you have fun with it.
I am man!! Driving the lazy has hell 4.8 for a 1 1/2 years as my DD while getting picked on left and right sucks!! Dont get me wrong I like to race as much as the next guy. And I considered modding up the 4.8 until I talked to a few 4.8 guys that did cam swaps and said after the swaps people dont try to race them anymore. Thats not what I want I just want to be competitve! I like them door to door races! I dont want to run people off!! If it sounds stock which it does then people will bite!! IE SLEEPER!

I dont have a problem telling them whats done if that want to know.

But remember, you're only beating people cause you changed your engine
Keep in mind Im taking a old truck trying to keep up with newer more powerful,better technology,better tranny geared and all around better trucks. Im doing what everyone else that mods up there trucks to be faster just doing things differently then most 4.8 guys. And cheaper.

And just like the money aspect if you actually break it down the labor part its really not different.

If I kept the 4.8 I would have needed a cam and swapped valve springs. Some swap springs in the truck but with future plans of boost I wanted LS9 head gaskets and studs. So they would have had to come off.. Which means that the front comes off the motor along with the intake and timing cover. So pulling them off and swapping them to the 6.0 is the same work. It also means you are unhooking all the hoses,wiring harness and removing the radiator for a cam swap. Same work.

With the 4.8 I would have required a stall. Which means pulling the transmission. Pulling the trans requires you remove the y-pipe,driveshaft and crossmember. Now the motor mounts are only 3 bolts per side vs the driveshaft bolts and crossmember bolts. The bellhousing and torque convertor would wash. So its not anymore work.

With the 4.8 I would also require headers. Which means removing the manifolds. No different then removing them and replacing them. Same work.

So in all honest the labor really is no different!

So yeah I swapped the stock shortblock {with a LS2 cam}. Not a built 370 or 408. It has stock unported heads and stock unported intake. I spent what some people spend on CAI only on the whole deal and did the same amount of labor! Id say thats pretty awesome!!

Now I havent tracked it yet!! I dont think in its current form it will run a 14.5 or quicker or 99 or quicker!! But I think after a tune and catback it will. The tune will be $300 and the catback cost me $125 off a stock 6.2... If it goes low 14's or high 13's and sounds stock then I will be very happy!!

With the newer trucks getting faster and faster with more factory power I will have to see what my future plans consist of... I wouldnt mine porting the intake,ud pulley,lt's and slp 1.85 rockers. Hell even pulling off the heads and porting them or swapping them for a ported set. But thats later! And thoses mods might require some 4l60 work. If I good turbo or blower it will need a trans swap. Havent decided which route I want to go there.... 6l80 or 4l80!!

Just have to see where it goes!! Im finishing up my turbo 5.3 fox for fast shxt! The truck is my fun DD! Doesnt have to set the world on fire.

Last edited by 5.3parts; 10-10-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.3parts
... Id say thats pretty awesome!! ...
So would I. You just chose to mod with Basic Power Element #1 (cubic inches) instead of Basic Power Element #2 (cubic money).

Well done, I say.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Sleeper Idea