Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

L92 in my 07 Avalanche?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default L92 in my 07 Avalanche?

Well I just installed an L92 longblock with intake in my 07 Avalanche. I used my original engine harness so I can keep my 4L60e. There are only 2 connectors that arnt matching the motor. One, there is no sensor on the valley cover so the wire is just there. The other one is on the timing cover, the harness on the cover was different so I swapped them and only the cam position sensor is connected. The truck turns on but it sounds like its running on 4 cylinders. I'm using the original pcm from the 5.3/4L60. What needs to be done so I can get it running? Thanks
Old 11-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the wires on the valley cover are for the knock sensors. you will need a different harness that has the wires relocated down by the pan. or you can try and move them
Old 11-10-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The L92s have the knock sensors on the side of the block. Those are bolted on and connected to the harness. I think the spare connector on the harness is for the dod o n the original 5.3..
Old 11-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

well then it is for the DOD . if its just one plug as for the front cover. did you switch timing gears too? cause it reads off the timing gear on the front cover
Old 11-10-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, the connection left over is for the dod but that can be deleted. I didn't swap the front timing gear. The motor is off an 07 escalade, the 6.2 timing cover has 2 sensors. One it the cam sensor and the other is the vvt sensor. The cam sensor on both motors is the same but the 6.2 cam harness is also connected to the vvt sensor. What I did was remove the 6.2 harness and installed the 5.3 one cause it matched the engine harness and only has on connection instead of 2. The dod can be deleted with a tune.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can I jus swap the cam sprocked from the 5.3 onto the 6.2 so I can completly delete the vvt or phaser? I'm assuming once I do that, I will only have to delete the dod and it should be running on all 8 cylinders?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

You have to swap the sprocket and cam to delete the VVT. Then use the cover and sensor from the 5.3. VVT should not cause it to sound like its running on 4 cylinders. Are you sure you plugged in both of the coil pack harnesses? I left one bank unplugged once.

If you have the non-DoD valley cover in there and normal lifters, then the tune already has no control over it.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think that if you don't have the L92 harness and ECU, you will have to swap the cam gear and delete the VVT, otherwise the cam phaser will keep the cam parked at 8.5 degrees advanced. But, you're going to need to swap the cam too, since the VVT cam has a very large bolt that is the cam phaser activator, and your 5.3 probably has a single (smaller) bolt like the LS3's. You could probably use a stock LS3 cam and sprocket, if you don't want a lumpy-cam idle.
Not sure what you need to do with the DOD (more like "DUD") wire, but it sounds like the ECM defaults to 4 cylinder mode if you disconnect it. You should be able to turn off DOD with HPT or EFI Live though.
Good luck with getting it sorted. This is the motor that GM should have put in the Avalanche, and I would have still owned one.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like the others said,

put on a LS2 or 09 and back timing cover with the cam only sensor on it. IF you leave the VVT cam cove on there, it'll idle and start like crap.

Swap out the valley cover and lifters if it has DOD. . . if the valley cover is not completely smooth, then it's DOD, and the lifters/lifter trays have to come out. You didn't say what year the L92 motor was, but the 09 and back were just VVT only. If that's the case, don't worry about it.

The original timing gear has raised marks on the face of it . . 3x or 4x trigger, and that has to match on the L92.
Did you keep the L92 VVT cam in, or was it also swapped out?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no one reads about swapping a 6.2 into a gmt900? coulda saved you a ton of time. the above is correct.
daryn is goofy how you gonna say the knock sensors are on the top for a 07+

swap timing gear, swap front cover. bam your good to go. did you retune the truck for the 6.2 or are you running off your stock tune?

Quick Reply: L92 in my 07 Avalanche?