Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

L92 in my 07 Avalanche?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for all your input iamkeniff, and everyone esle who had suggestions. Im going to try what your saying bro. I found a post by RGVSIERRA who did the swap and said that if the dod wasent connected and haddent been deleted from the pcm that it would throw a bunch of dod codes and cause the truck to misfire and be power'd down no matter what. He state that there are only 2 things that can be done. 1, is to swap the valley cover from the 5.3 and connect the dod so that the computer would get a signal and it will clear the codes but would never activate due to the engine not being dod equipped. 2, Have the tuner delete the dod file and that will clear it up.....

He had also swapped the cam sprocket, cam sensor with timing cover as you stated bro..I will get working on it tomorrow, so keep your fingers cross cause i know i am...lol..
Old 11-11-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the cam sprocket bolt on the single bolt non-VVT Gen IV's is the same diameter/thread/length as the VVT cam sprocket bolt? That I didn't know. Thought that they were different, because the cam phaser actuator bolt on my truck is a big bitch. Does anyone know if the VVT cam dowel is phased the same as the non-VVT cam? I only ask because the VVT Cam is "parked" at 8.5 degrees advanced at idle/low RPM from the factory. It may be that the advance is all in the phaser, and with a regular single bolt gear and the marks lined up on the gears, the cam is installed "straight up", but I would want to know for sure, because the VVT cam is definitely different.
BTW: As far as I know, no L92 has DoD. The confusion seems to be that people refer to DoD and VVT interchangeably as "Active Fuel Management", but they are fundamentally different. DoD uses special lifters to deactivate 4 cylinders, whereas VVT uses a cam phaser to alter cam phasing. L92 have VVT not DoD, unless GFM has started that crap on the 6.2 truck motors too. As far as I know, the only 6.2 that has DoD is the L99 (Camaro SS w/ auto).
It would be interesting to hear from anyone who knows whether the VVT cam gear dowel is phased the same as on a non-VVT cam, or from someone who has deleted VVT by swapping their cam sprocket alone and has checked to see what the cam timing is.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it may not be degree'd the same but you can add timing through the tune so as long as your dot to dot then yes it'll work. its the same bolt as a single bolt cam. the VVT cam bolt has a hole in it if i remember correctly. when i pulled my VVT i wasnt looking at shii just wanted the motor torn apart i can go look tonight when i get home if need be

but dont swap in the DOD valley cover thats more work than needed imo. if you are saying you can just pull the ecm to be tuned bc your afraid to drive the truck then do that imo. i wouldnt pull the intake off just to swap in a valley cover that cant be used. which i honestly think it can but NO ONE has tried it that i have searched and seen :hmm:

anyways, i say either drive it like it is (if itll let you) or pull the ecm and bring it to the tuner. simple fix. the truck just cant add fuel for the 6.2 if it's not tuned to. the reason for open loop is bc it cant tell the ecm really how much fuel to put so it makes the truck run on the rich side. i think you'll be ok with the maf/pvc hose pulled. just gotta baby it, and dont act like its a sports car when you wanna run someone

motor going lean = melted pistons
Old 11-12-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the results are in. This bitch runs like stock. I kept me l92 cam and installed. The 5.3 sprocket and new cam bolt, the only differnece in the bolts is the wholes that are on the vvt one. I did swap the valley cover and put everything back together. She starts right away and idles smooth now. It revs real good with no hesitaion, thanks for everyones help and now, its time to do an oil change and get her all cleaned up and get her tuned tomorrow. I will post pics of my avalanche to ext conversion..thanks again guys
Old 11-12-2010, 11:48 AM

so you put the dod cover on it?
Old 11-12-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I did that and put everything back together. The misfiring went away and runs smooth
Old 11-12-2010, 01:14 PM

oil pressure!!!!???

i knew the DOD cover could be left but no one tried it and said its ok. theres 110.00 you can save on a DOD delete imho
Old 11-12-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea, once i have it tuned and have that file deleted ill remove the dod cover and put the flat one on there. sounds like a pain but by now i can do it with my eyes closed..lol...
Old 11-12-2010, 02:39 PM

do me a favor, drive it for a week and keep a record of the oil pressure please. if nothig changes which i doubt it will you can change it or decide to just keep it. i bet there is no reason to change the cover, but everyone changes it bc its said to need be changed. you dont have to just asking ya know
Old 11-12-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would but how do I check the oil pressure? I have the caddy dash on my trk and it doesn't have a gauge

Quick Reply: L92 in my 07 Avalanche?