Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

I Need Suggestions for Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Suggestions for Sway Bars

I want my 2011 2WD CC 6.2 to drive with less lean around corners. It came with the "Sport Suspension" and I had a 2" leveling kit installed (I like my ride height). I'm not planning racing around corners but want a sportier feel and based on my experience with cars I would like it to corner flatter.

Can anyone suggest a manufacturer(s) that I could look into for this??

THANKS
Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 PM
cam
TECH Addict

Im of the exact same opinion. These trucks are a little too mid 80's Buick ride/handling. They need to be firmed up for better cornering and transfer control.

Im not thinking that the sway bars need to be replaced they are already plenty big imo but I am planning to add poly bushings and end links plus some Bilsteins all around. Im leaning towards the Bilstein HD's but the 5100's look interesting.

Regardless im interested to see what you do and how it goes.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure you only have one sway bar, on the front. Hellwig is a great brand, 7800 model I believe fits that truck in the rear and they have one to replace the front also. I know you don't want to do this but I took the stock lift block out of the year on my 2011 and it handles completely different, way better. About to add that Hellwig to my 2011, on the 2001 it made a world of difference.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 PM
cam
TECH Addict

I am planning to take the rear lift blocks out too
Old 08-11-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yesterday I spoke with Helwig tech department and was told that the US Border Patrol installs Helwig sway bars on their trucks and Tahos. Everything is installed by inmates at a penetentry in Bastrop Texas. This looks like the way I will go with their #7800 rear kit and their #7685 front kit. The rear bar has three adjustments to work with to achieve the desired balance. I'm confident this will give me a sportier ride without sacrificing comfort.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:42 AM
cam
TECH Addict

The rear bar is interesting but id like to try one before I bought one so after your install will ya come take me for a spin?

The front sway PN you listed is the same size as my stocker so most of the gain is likely from the poly so Im going to stick with the stock front bar and just add the poly bushings. Im not all that disappointed with body roll on these trucks so much as the sloppy shocks they simply have to go. That plus I found a nice lightweight wheel tire combo that should make this thing perform a LOT better.

Im going to try some Yok Geolanders this time around. My life mission seems to always be chasing the ideal tire for each ride I put together. Sometimes I win, sometimes I end up with major tire hate but im always trying out new stuff. The last surprise I had was from Goodyear ( typically CRAPyear in my experience ) but I really do like the Forterra triple treads for light duty trucks. They performed beyond expectation for an all season DD tire that had good straight line and cornering grip dry or wet and were mighty impressive in the snow as well ( when they were new ) Not a hi-perf tire but an all round excellent performer
Old 08-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Nemesis, you'll like those Hellwig bars. I have both of those on my '08 ext cab. The rear bar, especially, makes it lean a lot less; I put the rear bar on mine first and changed the front one later. No difference in ride quality at all, just less lean around corners & curves.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cam
The rear bar is interesting but id like to try one before I bought one so after your install will ya come take me for a spin?

The front sway PN you listed is the same size as my stocker so most of the gain is likely from the poly so Im going to stick with the stock front bar and just add the poly bushings. Im not all that disappointed with body roll on these trucks so much as the sloppy shocks they simply have to go. That plus I found a nice lightweight wheel tire combo that should make this thing perform a LOT better.

Im going to try some Yok Geolanders this time around. My life mission seems to always be chasing the ideal tire for each ride I put together. Sometimes I win, sometimes I end up with major tire hate but im always trying out new stuff. The last surprise I had was from Goodyear ( typically CRAPyear in my experience ) but I really do like the Forterra triple treads for light duty trucks. They performed beyond expectation for an all season DD tire that had good straight line and cornering grip dry or wet and were mighty impressive in the snow as well ( when they were new ) Not a hi-perf tire but an all round excellent performer
The factory bars are hollow and the Helwigs are solid, at least that is what the engineer at Helwig told me. He said I would gain about 25% rigidity over the stock front. On tires, I agree and have the Forterra's as well (305/45/22). They perform good wet or dry and ride smoother than oem Goodyear GT 2's...did not break the bank either.

Originally Posted by Murphdog
Nemesis, you'll like those Hellwig bars. I have both of those on my '08 ext cab. The rear bar, especially, makes it lean a lot less; I put the rear bar on mine first and changed the front one later. No difference in ride quality at all, just less lean around corners & curves.
That's what I'm looking for! If I were hauling loads and needed extra stability control I would likely buy the rears only.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:55 PM
cam
TECH Addict

I might just hafta add me that there rear bar too
Old 08-13-2012, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cam
I might just hafta add me that there rear bar too :devil:
Indeed. Install Hellwig’s #7800 rear bar first, as it’ll make a dramatic improvement in chassis balance and control for less than ~$250.
Subsequently upgraded to their #7685 1.5-inch(!) solid front bar and F&R Bilstein shocks.

Should have been screwed together like that before it rolled out of Fort Wayne. ;)

Name:  GMC5325.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  125.3 KB

Quick Reply: I Need Suggestions for Sway Bars