GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

HID low-beams

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default HID low-beams

2011 gmc

I am going to install a set of HID fogs. At the same time i'm kicking around doing a set of HID lows. Those of you that have done them have you liked them and what are the improvements. For OEM my stock headlamps are bad ***. The stock foglights are pure crap though. Do hid headlamps have any weird things they do or I can expect them to work like stock. I would like stock reliability and never want to have to deal with tempermental headlamps.

Would it be better to do HID highs and lows?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hid lows and fog lights. I love mine and had them a year and a half now. No problems and very simple install. Do it.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have them on my nnbs. lows and fogs.
the cut off is going to be pretty much the same, but the difference in lighting is ridiculous.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pull your DRL fuses, and pull the cover that has the sensor in it on the dash and put a diode in between the wires. your HIDs will last a lot longer vs being on ALL the time.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

whats a quality brand?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT is NICE!
Install the DEPO projectors in your LOW beams or get some projector housings from EBAY

Here is a retro fit Projector kit for your lows if your interested. They VERY easy to install.
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-HID-H...-p9377715.html

Here is a video showing a guy retro fit some projectors into a non projector housing.

http://www.myvido1.com/wTFBnTUlWMQJm...jector-headlig

Theres nuthing worse than 55watts of 8k HIDs blasting light like the sun in every direction but on the road, blinding eveyone from the oncoming driver to the alien looking down. But putting **** for actuall light on the road where its needed.

As for your Fogs, PLEASE take a look here at what I installed as replacement for mine.
I can tell you, these projector fogs are installed on all 3 of my vehicals, my parents vehicals and 4 of my friends after they saw how nice they are.
These are a newer version of what I use, These have a rubber cover over the bulb socket.
These are what I use. You can get them in all sorts of bulb types. If I was you I would covert my fog HID bulb tothe same type as my LOWs incase a low bulb goes out, you can do a quick on the road swap if needed, or do like me and carry a spare in glove box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...item3a6061bbd2

Here is my install thread. The actual instructions are located on the pictures themselves at my photobucket site
http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20371

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MK1-U...Q5fAccessories

I run 35watt 4500k in my lows and 55watt 4500k in my fogs, both are projectors. So far I have not been flashed one time for blinding ppl.
My fog cut off is 18" @ 25 feet. my Lows are at factory hight at 25 feet.
I figure if I cannot see the oncomng drivers face then my light are not blinding them.

When I pull up beside some guy with the 6 hi mod running all 8k 55watt HIDs, I COMPLETLY wash out his light on the road, due to him NOT runing projectors.
I laugh every time.. You cant tell he even has lights on.

Reason I posted all of this is that, non projector HID's 55watt 6k hor higher BLIND the ever lovin **** out of me at night, my eyes are real sensitive to anything over 5k.
So I try to help everyone possible when dealing with HID's.

O hey for all of you guys, I came across this site. For those of you wanting 100 million gigawatts of light power blasting from your trucks! LOL
http://www.hidgeeks.com/
These guys sell Monster 75 and 100 watt HID's !!!!! WTF!!!
Here are the cheapest HID's I have ever found! They are currently out of stock on the slim digital HID kits.
but have the version 2 raptor kits. for 30$
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit

Good luck.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Veteran

DRL disable was done before the oil finished burning off of the exhaust the day I brought it home new.

So if I do the HID lows can I expect to blind the **** out of other cars and not have good field of vision. Or will I have a great vision left to right and down road with hid's and the stock gmc headlamp housings. I'm not to crazy about carving up the headlamp housings on a brand new truck.

Last edited by 01WS6/tamu; 02-03-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like a salesman ive NEVER been flashed for my headlights, nor with my fogs on. i run 35watt low/hi/fog HIDs, i have the 6HI mod also. i do not find that its harder to see with my HIDs vs a "factory bulb" i find the "factory bulbs" are harder to see anything at all.

i will not run projectors on a truck that didnt come with them. the aftermarket ones are cheap and look horrible
Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
sounds like a salesman ive NEVER been flashed for my headlights, nor with my fogs on. i run 35watt low/hi/fog HIDs, i have the 6HI mod also. i do not find that its harder to see with my HIDs vs a "factory bulb" i find the "factory bulbs" are harder to see anything at all.

i will not run projectors on a truck that didnt come with them. the aftermarket ones are cheap and look horrible
X2 well worth it.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok I got the truck all back together with HID's in the lows and fogs. Has anyone done HID's on the high beams. What I keep running into while looking online bothers me. The stock 9005 hi beams are 55 watts. The HID's from the place I got the lows and fogs show 35W only for HID's. My lights were great from the factory the fogs were my only complaint they are awesome now though. But now the lighting is totally F'ed due to the different colors once the hi's kick on.

Thanks