Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Difference between the 5.3's with and w/o flex-fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by colyneedsv8
no, it will not work like that. If you take a non-flex fuel vehicle and enable flex fuel in the PCM the vehicle freaks out. If it didn't come with flex fuel you're probably not going to be able to make it. You can run E85 but you have to run it all the time and not mix it. If you mix it you have to guess the composition and update the stoich table.
Actually, I think it will work just fine, since there is no longer a fuel composition sensor. Its all done with the tune now. The fuel trims are now what it uses to calculate how much ethanol is in the fuel and adjust stoich accordingly. If you load up a FF tune, and have the fuel system to support it, I see no reason why the the PCM can not adjust to the different mixes. Have you looked at the later model tunes with FF to see how they are setup? I believe it would work. I would not be afraid to try it if I had a late model truck, but I have EFILive too...

BTW, from my experience, even if you put E85 in a non-FF vehicle, it generally will not hurt it, it will most likely just max out the fuel trims and throw a lean code. I have seen this happen and it didn't do any harm to the vehical.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Actually, I think it will work just fine, since there is no longer a fuel composition sensor. Its all done with the tune now. The fuel trims are now what it uses to calculate how much ethanol is in the fuel and adjust stoich accordingly. If you load up a FF tune, and have the fuel system to support it, I see no reason why the the PCM can not adjust to the different mixes. Have you looked at the later model tunes with FF to see how they are setup? I believe it would work. I would not be afraid to try it if I had a late model truck, but I have EFILive too...
I have enabled the flex fuel option in hp tuners and the vehicle went into some crazy limp mode and wouldn't go over 10-15 mph. and also there is a scanner function for fuel composition and it never moved off 0 even when the flex fuel was enabled in the ECM.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have enabled the flex fuel option in hp tuners and the vehicle went into some crazy limp mode and wouldn't go over 10-15 mph. and also there is a scanner function for fuel composition and it never moved off 0 even when the flex fuel was enabled in the ECM.
Did you put a FF tune in the truck and have E85 in the tank? Like I said earlier, trucks that didn't come FF, don't have all the FF tables filled in correctly for E85, they are filled in with the same values for gas. I would suspect that is why it when into limp, cuz it was getting conflicting information.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Did you put a FF tune in the truck and have E85 in the tank? Like I said earlier, trucks that didn't come FF, don't have all the FF tables filled in correctly for E85, they are filled in with the same values for gas. I would suspect that is why it when into limp, cuz it was getting conflicting information.
in my file, everything is filled in correctly. the "alchohol" tables all have different parameters. I know this because when I run e85 I copy all those tables to the gas tables.

if you compare a 2008 truck file...FF vs non FF the only difference is one has the FF option turned on and one has it turned off.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is some great dialogue!

in my file, everything is filled in correctly. the "alchohol" tables all have different parameters. I know this because when I run e85 I copy all those tables to the gas tables.

if you compare a 2008 truck file...FF vs non FF the only difference is one has the FF option turned on and one has it turned off.
So, I'm confused then.... If you're saying that changing the tables won't let you run both but the new generation doesn't have a sensor, then what else would the FF trucks have that would allow them to run whatever they wanted??
Old 01-21-2009, 07:17 AM
TECH Resident

I really have no idea.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Launching!

I wonder if it may be that since you have a 4.8 that you're seeing a different scenario. Maybe it's possible there's code in the PCM that doesn't get run for 4.8's that does get run for 5.3's and that's how it may be able to handle both once the tables are updated...
Old 01-21-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Kyle was running flex fuel when he had his 4.8, so no...
Old 01-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 95 bright teal
He was able to switch between E85 and regular whenever he wanted, without any problems?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 95 bright teal
Originally Posted by outdooricon
He was able to switch between E85 and regular whenever he wanted, without any problems?
I tuned for it, which was quite easy, just adjusted the stoich table till my short term fuel trims where around +/- 3-4% since the rest of the tune was already dialed in. I added a little timing too.

Quick Reply: Difference between the 5.3's with and w/o flex-fuel