Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Considering Dyno Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Dyno Tune

hey guys
I've been doing some searching on google, read some Camaro forum stuff, F150 forum stuff also some jdm stuff just to see and even in our own backyard this question was never actually answered. lots of "you should do" or "it should do this"

I am considering getting a dyno tune, I have the black bear auto cal and it was great however after my recent mods (listed in sig) he's been having a hard time nailing it down, I get idle surges or cruise control run on effect at low speeds, hesitations between shifts; he's got it pretty close but I just feel like I could get "more" out of the truck

I was originally looking around locally just to get a dyno pull but then I came across this place and I've heard the name lots and the guy is quite known for his great tunes, the dyno price is fair and so is the tuning price, I briefly emailed him and he says quote "I can gurantee better results" he also offers free updates and what not.

so is it worth it? do dyno tunes give better tuning and power then the auto cal?
here's that shop Wester's Garage
thanks!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

I vote dyno tune. more enjoyable seeing the gains with each pull.

theres a shop down there in Calgary that brings up their new Camaro ZL1. heads cam and SC. Davenport motors?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by roland1
I vote dyno tune. more enjoyable seeing the gains with each pull.

theres a shop down there in Calgary that brings up their new Camaro ZL1. heads cam and SC. Davenport motors?
thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately I wouldn't even take my used oil to Davenport. I got some serious mouth over the phone when I was younger and didn't know much and the pricing is outrageous.
PLUS they actually take their harder to tune ones down to Westers!

Tilley isn't to far away, from me at least and then I can stop by Brooks wrecking yard to see what I can find in regards to a HD hood if I do end up going that route I mean
Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

so far the poll is 2:1 for the dyno tune, but nobody put the reason why they voted that!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 217 Likes on 147 Posts

dyno tune is for WOT performance. if you're happy with that part of the tune, and unhappy with the drivability you need to focus on actually cruising the truck around town to nail the issues.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
dyno tune is for WOT performance. if you're happy with that part of the tune, and unhappy with the drivability you need to focus on actually cruising the truck around town to nail the issues.
the drivability is definitely the biggest issue cause its quite annoying coming to a stop and the truck kinda "running on" or as black bear calls it "cruise control effect" and then once coming to a complete stop the rpms surge up quickly and back down sometimes pushing against the brakes.
has anyone else had that issue?
I know Justin is probly getting annoyed with it cause the emails went from "give this tune a try" to "here" and it seems to be one or the other, he gets the surge fixed but then the run on is worse...gets the run on fix then the surge is worse

edit to add
its not a mechanical issue cause it doesnt do it on a cold start driving and its intermittent on hot driving; just when it does do it its annoying
so thats why i thought maybe in person on the dyno would give better results

Last edited by AUTOT3K; 06-13-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 217 Likes on 147 Posts

are you 1000% sure there are no vacuum leaks? which throttle body are you using? (cable/electronic?)

my last setup had to have the throttle cracker table completely removed to cure the idle hangs and surges. i dont think it's normal but it was what the engine wanted.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
are you 1000% sure there are no vacuum leaks? which throttle body are you using? (cable/electronic?)

my last setup had to have the throttle cracker table completely removed to cure the idle hangs and surges. i dont think it's normal but it was what the engine wanted.
I am %100 sure there are no vacuum leaks, i've even taken the snap on solus pro from work for a drive just to monitor everything like my Short term fuel trims and map and I graphed the TPS % coming to a stop to maybe see if it was dropping out but no its ok.
I'm using the factory TB, which is 87mm I believe? and its electric.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the same thing on my truck as far as the idleing up when coming to a stop. but mine doesnt run on. i thought it was my fast intake.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Buy tuning software and street tune it yourself, that's just me. If you're getting in this deep you'll probably fall further into hole lol

Quick Reply: Considering Dyno Tune