Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

6 speed 6l80e no drain plug!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 6 speed 6l80e no drain plug!!

so i turend 48,000km an decided its time to change the tranny oil

bought every thing

new filter,6L of DEXRON VI ATF, and bought a bigger tranny oil to change with me too.

i layed under the truck and looker every where arround the pan and didnt find the plug

where the hell is ist? i did change the oil by taking all the pan bolts and the pan didnt come all the way down because of the exhaust pipe.
any one knows where is it,and how can i remove the hole pan to change the filter
Old 07-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

seems like you have to pull the y pipe to change the fluid, maybe even pull down the tranny crossmember. i dunno, i own a 60e
Old 07-05-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

If its like the 60Es you can cheat and loosen the trans mount nuts and jack the transmission up a little and give some more clearance between the pan and exhaust. Still, its completely stupid they had to make it that way.

There is no drain plug. That would be entirely too easy and even if there way it would be in typical GM fashion and make it so it leaves about an inch of fluid in the pan anyway, not to mention a plug that always rounds off. Not hating, just pointing out their stupidity on simple stuff like this. Best thing I did on my 80E was get a 1/2" fine threaded drain plug and a 1/2" fine threaded nut and welded the nut to the inside of the pan in the little divot area stamped into the pan. I can get it all but about a cup of fluid out of the pan with just the drain plug. Best thing I ever did. No more big splash theory and transmission fluid in the eyes hair and other places it shouldn't go.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldred95
If its like the 60Es you can cheat and loosen the trans mount nuts and jack the transmission up a little and give some more clearance between the pan and exhaust. Still, its completely stupid they had to make it that way.

There is no drain plug. That would be entirely too easy and even if there way it would be in typical GM fashion and make it so it leaves about an inch of fluid in the pan anyway, not to mention a plug that always rounds off. Not hating, just pointing out their stupidity on simple stuff like this. Best thing I did on my 80E was get a 1/2" fine threaded drain plug and a 1/2" fine threaded nut and welded the nut to the inside of the pan in the little divot area stamped into the pan. I can get it all but about a cup of fluid out of the pan with just the drain plug. Best thing I ever did. No more big splash theory and transmission fluid in the eyes hair and other places it shouldn't go.
thats what im going to do
Old 07-05-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While I’ve never had an issue loosening the drain plug in mine, from my understanding it is all too commonplace for them to gall up and not want to come out. I’m sure that didn’t enter GM’s mind when deleting it, but you may be about as well off that they did. It’s also true as mentioned, that as far dimpled in as the pan is for the factory drains in pans so equipped, that you still can’t get near all the fluid out, but it does help in making less of a mess.