Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Wtf?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wtf?!?!?

Okay so Im on the interstate coming to Atlanta for school. This guy pulls up in the same truck as mine, except a gm. Looks like he has no mods and is on stock rims with maybe a 285 tire, exhaust stock sounding also.

So of course after he ***** with me a bit we run them a few times down the interstate. Id say we started at about 75ish MPH and go till his truck stops which I guess is about 98 mph

Well I would take him from about 75ish to 90ish then he would start to pull ahead and catching me around 88-90ish until he couldnt go no more. We did about 5-6 runs and on most we started at almost exactly the same time.

How can he beat me like that?

No it was not heavy traffic, hate if you must!

I know I have a v7 right now, I need a new motor, trying to make this one last this semester. One of the cylinders is shot/burnt/ fucked in general and is doing nothing but going up and down right now without making power. But with my mods I figured I would have a least been able to beat him?

Mods:
Cal Speed Lt's
vette servo
BBP tune
CAI
Full exhaust
18" rock stars on 33 1250 mud grapps
3.73's

It was close every time, just I was a little disappointed that I couldnt beat a stock truck.( Im saying it was stock, not turbo whistle or supercharger whistle i could tell, and I could still see stock manifolds behind the splash guards)

Any Ideas?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

I guess my question is, when I swap in a new motor and have a v8 back is that going to really make a difference? Does one cylinder make that big of a difference?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well you need to fix that cylinder to make that power. Second, those tires are going to slow you down a bit. Third you need a cam. And it is hard to tell what a vehicle has done to it just by the looks.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

You have a dead cylinder and you are questioning why he pulls on you?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by JFOLM
That makes more sense then any thing...
Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AndysC3
Well you need to fix that cylinder to make that power. Second, those tires are going to slow you down a bit. Third you need a cam. And it is hard to tell what a vehicle has done to it just by the looks.
I know its hard to tell but if he had anything it was/had to be minimal seeing as how I have a dead cylinder and still pretty much hung with him.

Yes I know them tires and rims kill me a lot, sucks but I like them so there staying ha.

Hope when the new motor goes in I will install a cam!!! I replaced first motor so this ones on pops and hes not to stoked about a cam, so I have some talking to do. Crossing my fingers lol.

Originally Posted by JFOLM
Originally Posted by Team Paulie
That makes more sense then any thing...
Well I know he's gunna pull with me having a dead cylinder, I just figured with the few mods I have and from the stockish look and sound of the truck and after the first run, he seemed to be around my "race" legue if you will. So I figured with my mods I should still be able to beat him.

Guess that one cylinder can make a big difference.

Im still proud of her though, loosing or winning
Old 03-12-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Even a small cam would do wonders. Look up the comp 212/218 low lift cam. Better low end torque and pulls better up top. You can still use the stock torque converter.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Even a small cam would do wonders. Look up the comp 212/218 low lift cam. Better low end torque and pulls better up top. You can still use the stock torque converter.
Thanks bud, Im not trying to make it drag strip or anything. Its a DD and I tow/haul a bit.

I want it to haul *** but right now Im not sure if its practical and frankly I wouldnt know what X cam with X stall.

Thanks for the cam suggestions. Sounds like what i need to be honest . Dad said when I graduate college in a few years he would but me a new truck. So If thats the case then this will be the weekend warrior one day lol.

If I get the green light to swap in a cam I will be sure to look you up.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

no problem. Happy to help. Read up on cam swaps. their not that bad.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

no problem. Happy to help. Read up on cam swaps. their not that bad.
I have read a ton on cam swaps. Like enough where i could probably do it in my sleep lol

My problem is I dont know what should go with what!

Quick Reply: Wtf?!?!?