Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

window motor break?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:07 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Window regulator failures are very common on these trucks, my driver's side went not too long ago, and my passenger's side was going up and down very slowly. I replaced both of the regulators with GM parts, as I've heard of guys using ebay regulators and having them break in less than a month. Oh yea, both of mine I replaced the regulator only and re-used the motor as it was fine. If your passenger side is going up slowly, you could try using some spray silicone on the window run and it may allow the window to operate quicker, it worked for me a few times and I got a few years of use that way before finally replacing the parts.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

if the window was going up and down slow wouldn't that mean that the motor was going bad? The regulator is nothing more than a pulley systemm....how is that causing it to go slow?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:46 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
if the window was going up and down slow wouldn't that mean that the motor was going bad? The regulator is nothing more than a pulley systemm....how is that causing it to go slow?
The little plastic pullies start to bind up, causing it to go slower. When these motors go bad they usually stop working all together. Both of my windows had gotten considerably slower than when the truck was new. After the driver's side regulator broke and I replaced it, it went up twice as fast as the passenger's side...it was like a rocket lol. So I replaced the passenger's side regulator and now they go up at about the same speed.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:59 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

BTW, when my driver's side broke, the cable didn't snap, one of the pullies totally siezed and the cable jumped track. I was almost tempted to try and free up the pulley and straighten the regulator (which got bent from the pulley siezing and the cable pulling on it), but I knew that it would never really work right and the problem would just happen again. I figured that if I was going to remove it, I might as well replace it. I'm still using both of the original window motors that the truck came with in 99.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how hard is it to change the regulators in these trucks.. in my moms yukon the cable became all frayed and it got all caught up in the gear box thing.. and my dads is jacked up too.. havent taken it apart yet.. was wondering how hard is it to replace these.. ive done to motors in an Fbody and let me tell you that sucked... had to drilll the rivets out and all this bull crap... thanx guys....
Old 03-15-2009, 03:29 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by fredkj3
how hard is it to change the regulators in these trucks.. in my moms yukon the cable became all frayed and it got all caught up in the gear box thing.. and my dads is jacked up too.. havent taken it apart yet.. was wondering how hard is it to replace these.. ive done to motors in an Fbody and let me tell you that sucked... had to drilll the rivets out and all this bull crap... thanx guys....
No drilling, it all unbolts. It's a fairly straight-forward R&R procedure. Your first time you should be able to get it done in under an hour.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well thanks guys advanced had them for 100 bucks and my brother works there so i get 20% off.... and yes they have a lifetime warranty...
so i did my moms driver side... took like 30 minutes.... then since it was so easy i decided to tackle my dads passenger side since his has been out for like 5 years now.. and i did that one in like 20 minutes.. this is a very straight forward install.. super easy... especially compared to an Fbody....

on both of these the cables were popped.. seems to be a common problem..

anyone could do this... thanks again guys... man its getting to the point where ive taken loose like everybolt on these freaking trucks... always amazes me how easy they are to work on....
Old 03-15-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the problem is more common in the colder states. My reasoning is, if the weather is cold out, like in winter, the window sticks just enuff to stress the cheap excuse GM gave for power windows. Lil plastic gears & weak cables. I'm sure to save weight & of course, $$.

I agree w/ Bud, spray silicone whenever you've got the door panel off to replace, or better,...anytime you pull that panel. What's a lil spray & few seconds worth? Less aggravation. It'll help that motor move that window not as slowly as w/o silicone.

FWIW, in the winter, where I live, if going thru drivethru for burgers or droppin mail at post office, I just open my door. I know of the problem on these trucks, so buy your time/ $ back.