Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

What is your truck doing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your truck doing?

I did a search on the forums, and didn't come up with much. A few ramblings, but no specific answers. With climbing fuel prices, fuel mileage is becoming more and more of a concern than ever before. Just a couple hours ago, it cost me almost 75 dollars to fill up my Silverado with 93 octane. 3.57 a gallon, and it's suppose to climb. Well, i'm not willing to give up my truck, and i'm hoping that the aftermarket parts i've ordered will help get my mileage to an acceptable rate, granted I do my part behind the wheel. (not drive wide open) I'm getting between 16 and 17 MPG in town, and around 20 to 21 on the highway. That's pretty consistent, as I've counted the miles after each fuel up, faithfully, for the last few years. One reason I do this is so I can notice trends in performance. If my mileage begins falling off, there's a reason for it, and I can find the problem and fix it before bigger issues come about.

Anyhow, my truck is an '01 with a 5.3 in it. I was hoping to see what type of mileage you guys with modified motors have been able to achieve. Those of you that have been producing better mileage than others, maybe you could share the mods you've done, so others of us may benefit from you trials. Asside from what i've already ordered, the other thing on my radar are headers. I've just got to decide how to do my exhaust from there back. That's a whole other thread.......
Old 02-28-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

99 sc stepside, 170k or so, dead. has been sitting for over a year now. exhaust and intake on a 4.8
Old 02-28-2011, 03:19 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tell me about it, premium at 3.59 and diesel is 3.75 a gal. WHAT ******* BULLSHIT!!!

Any way i will just drive less, i love my Full size trucks and will NEVER get a small car ( coffin) to ride in, i like having room and safety.

But it sucks though, as much as we love our vehicles how they rape us with high prices so we cant enjoy them.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:56 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I get around 260 miles on a tank during the winter, mixed city/highway driving, plenty of WOT. The last tank cost me $90 at these prices.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pair 3.499 for my last tank, and got 14.24 MPG in my 99 rcsb 4.8 with 150k on it. I was thinking of tuning it with EFI live for better mileage. I figured it would pay for its self. I like how they use that 9 10th's of a penny thing, it really makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside like I am getting a good deal.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

4.09 a gallon for 91. 10mpg. living on ramen.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i parked my crap, esp when ya wanna run a few gallons of good stuff (116). So my dd doesn't get much better but close to 16, where the red truck gets 14.....prolly better if i drive it right....psssshhhhh like thats gonna happen!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gas prices are freaking killing me, im looking into getting a street bike...i can't afford to freakin daily drive my truck, i go through about a tank and a half of 93 a week
Old 02-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Seems like your getting pretty good gas mileage yourself, what mods do you have on your truck?

My truck (mods in sig) gets 15-17mpg mixed hwy/cty driving. I noticed the biggest difference in mileage, overall drivability and throttle response from doing the electric fan swap.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

snowbunny, i'm actually a little surprised at the responses so far. I figured I would be on the bottom of the barrel in regards to mileage. Maybe it's my driving habbits. But, I don't baby it all the time either. Just drive normal.

The only thing done to my truck right now is a K&N filter, stock intake. And I had a pipe welded in where the muffler once was. Everything else is bone stock. I will say though, I keep up a detailed service plan on this truck, recording every oil change and bolt that has been turned in a log. I basically over maintain my truck. Oil every 3k, high quality 10w-30 with no exception. Tires rotated every oil change. Transmission serviced every 3 years, rather it needs it or not. Grease gun all the fittings regularly. I clean my engine compartment everytime I wash my truck. I change the rear end lube regularly. (cheap piece of mind) Cabin filters, every year. Basically anything that can be serviced, is done.

I can't imagine that the mods i've got planned with in any way make me go backwards, so I have a feeling my MPG's will jump fairly well. I'm looking forward to the results, and clocking my first couple tanks. My TR55's came in today, and the other stuff has already shipped, and should be here in a day or two. Right now, i'm scrambling to locate a 3 arm puller so I can get that damn pulley off and get them swapped out. That is one of the few mods I have not done to a truck, and i'm looking forward to getting it on and seeing how it acts. I'm not thrilled about the install, since i've never done one, but i'll suck it up.

Quick Reply: What is your truck doing?