Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

What color loctite is GM threadlocker?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default What color loctite is GM threadlocker?

So....I just dropped about 100lbs off my truck.....spare and trailering provisions Anyways, I'm installing the belltech drop shackles and I want to torque everything to proper spec. I know it seems ridiculous and everyone normally says just torque the **** out of them, I want to stick to spec. In the belltech manual it states that chassis damage can occur if the bolts aren't torqued to spec (not sure what damage they are referring to). So if anyone knows I need the torque specs for the 2 shackle bolts and all of the hitch bolts.

Also, all the bolts I took out have threadlocker on them that looks identical to the threadlocker that was on the TTY headbolts. Is this equivalent to red or blue loctite?

Finally, for a ghetto drop, I'm surprised no one has cut a hole in the bed to allow for longer shackles
Old 03-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was shopping for some there was Extra strength in red, High temp. and something else.
My Converter bolts came with Blue loctite on them but The Extra strength I got from Napa was Red.
I don't think it's going to matter a whole lot
Old 03-16-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

the reason I am confused is that the threadlocker on the bolts is orange/red but I was able to get them off with hand tools. I thought red you could only get off with heat and an impact
Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

they say that just to cover their *** in case somethin happens it cant be blamed on them..the tread locker comes on the bolts when you buy them.. if i were to put thread locker on them i would get the blue stuff.. ive seen bolts with red loctite strip the threads when taken off
Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
they say that just to cover their *** in case somethin happens it cant be blamed on them..the tread locker comes on the bolts when you buy them.. if i were to put thread locker on them i would get the blue stuff.. ive seen bolts with red loctite strip the threads when taken off
The Loc-Tite brand red can be NASTY when it hardens, I'd stick with the blue. The stuff that GM uses may be red/orange in color but probably isn't the equivalent of the Loc-Tite red...
Old 03-16-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

WOOT!

Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .

Remove the leaf spring assembly from vehicle. Refer to Leaf Spring Replacement .
Remove the shackle nut and the bolt from the spring.
Installation Procedure

Install the shackle to the spring.
Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the shackle nut and bolt to the spring.
Tighten
Tighten the shackle nut to 95 N·m (70 lb ft).

Install the leaf spring assembly to the vehicle. Refer to Leaf Spring Replacement .
Remove the safety stands.
Lower the vehicle.

**********I cut the text right out of the procedure... It does not say anything about loctite but I would put blue loctite on those bolts. ****************

Hitch procedure

Position the hitch platform to the vehicle.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the platform hitch bolts to the frame rails and the rear bumper.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 125 N·m (92 lb ft).

Connect the trailer wiring harness.

*************I'd use blue here too.****************