Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Tahoe with no heat!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
There are 2 Temp. Actuators in that particular application. There is a top and a bottom actuator on the heater box. The part # for the top is 52474810 and the bottom is 89018365.
Thanks for lookin that up for me. I thought that Budhayes said that the one on top is the recirculation actuator tho. I don't understand why there would be two, unless some tahoes had the dual climate control. From the looks of it, the rear heat is totally separate from the front, so it wouldn't have anything to do with that I wouldn't think. Just trying to figure out which one needs to be changed out.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:42 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timmer1
Thanks for lookin that up for me. I thought that Budhayes said that the one on top is the recirculation actuator tho. I don't understand why there would be two, unless some tahoes had the dual climate control. From the looks of it, the rear heat is totally separate from the front, so it wouldn't have anything to do with that I wouldn't think. Just trying to figure out which one needs to be changed out.
That's the way it is in the service manual for my 99 truck...not sure if it's the same for the newer Tahoe though
Old 01-06-2010, 06:45 AM
TECH Addict

BudHayes is right. That is what the service manual reads. Just remember that most Tahoe's had an aux. climate control in them too.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Launching!

So the part number for the one underneath the heater controls would be right? The aux. actuator would be in the back of the vehicle right? At least I am assuming when you say aux climate control, you mean the back controls. I was amazed that there is a heater core in the rear of the vehicle. Evidentally the front and rear heat ducts aren't connected at all. I thought that it was all coming from the front. Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Launching!

I just got a picture of this part from my local chevy dealer and he says it's a two piece part and it's by the heater core. I was under the impression that its under where the heater controls are. If one of you guys could clarify for me, I'd appreciate it. Sorry to be a pain, just don't want to take anything apart I don't have to.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:35 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, 2 piece? What are the two pieces? According to my manual, the temp actuator is external and held in with a few screws, but once again, this is a 99 truck, not sure if the Tahoe is different

Do you have a digital camera? Could you "crawl" under the dash and take a pic maybe? Looks to me like you should be able to access this thing by removing the lower shield on the HVAC module and it should be right there. Might need angled screwdrivers or a screwdriver bit in a 1/4" ratchet to remove it.

If it is actually internal by the heater core, you're going to have to remove the dash, drain the coolant, discharge the AC, and remove the entire HVAC module (the big plastic box that houses the heater core, condenser, etc). I don't see how an actuator would be able to move a temp control door from the inside though, not to mention it seems like it would be in a place that is prone to "flooding" from the water that comes off of the condenser.

I trust Torque Wrench, I'd order the part number that he supplied then go digging into your dash to find out where it goes...

Check out this link that dlstewart provided in another thread: http://chevroletforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22624
Old 01-07-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah your heater box is on the passenger side (mostly) and it's under the dash. Not behind the AC Control head. It is about a 4 hour job to replace the upper actuator because you do have to almost completely dismantle the dash panel. This is one of those repairs that I for one hate to do, and if I were doing it on my own vehicle, I'd take it to a qualified tech that has the tools and the know-how to do this correctly and probably a lot quicker that I could if I were doing it in my driveway.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Yeah your heater box is on the passenger side (mostly) and it's under the dash. Not behind the AC Control head. It is about a 4 hour job to replace the upper actuator because you do have to almost completely dismantle the dash panel. This is one of those repairs that I for one hate to do, and if I were doing it on my own vehicle, I'd take it to a qualified tech that has the tools and the know-how to do this correctly and probably a lot quicker that I could if I were doing it in my driveway.
I was told in earlier posts that it is the lower actuator. It is mounted right onto the heater box from what I see in the diagrams. I'm pretty sure I'm qualified enough to do it. I've worked on cars for just about all my life. I like to do my research before diving in. I'm going to hate this job too if I have to take the dash out, but money is tight after Christmas. If it is on the bottom, I should be able to take that lower cover off and see it shouldn't I?

Last edited by timmer1; 01-07-2010 at 04:56 PM.