swapping out DBW pedals

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swapping out DBW pedals

I'd like to swap from this:

to this:

I have an 06, built in 05, 2500 hd, 6.0L with the fully plastic, smaller tps plug accelerator pedal and I cannot stand it. The spring pedal feels much better to me, and feels more responsive, A friend of mine has an 05, built in 04 2500 hd with the spring pedal and Its more enjoyable to drive.
BTW, both trucks are 5 speed manuals, so throttle response is more noticeable, or lack there of. Now in order to do this, shouldn't I be able to just hit the junk yard and find an hd, grab the TAC and spring return pedal, with the wiring and directly swap out mine for it? Would I need the TAC or could I use mine and just splice the new plug into the existing? Is there anything different between those years in the TAC or TPS that would effect the throttle response? Just visually looking at both of our TAC's they look identical. I tried researching somewhat but mostly everyone was trying to find a pedal to fit into another vehicle, like an off road buggy or car. I did research enough however to try to sound like i know what I'm talking about, at least a little bit.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While the TAC modules appear the same, the programming is different on the ’04 and earlier units vs the ’05 and newer units, so you would want to pick up the pieces you need from a ’04 if possible and swap everything over together. As you noted, the throttle response is quicker on the slightly older trucks and is due pretty much solely to the TAC module itself. Yes there are ETC tables in the PCM, but even adjusting them for a quicker response will only do so much for the ’05 and newer trucks, while the older trucks respond very well to adjusting the ETC opening rate. Make every attempt to swap everything over without splicing any wires if at all possible, because the wires are very small and any resistance can cause you issues with triggering reduced power and nothing is more aggravating than being stuck only able to go 15mph. You don’t have to worry about changing the throttle body itself to match, as they are interchangeable. If your only complaint was the peddle feel, you can change the spring on the side of the peddle assembly to loosen or stiffen the peddle feel. GM increased the spring tension several times throughout the year models to address complaints of touchy (bouncy) peddles. On the earlier models, every time you went over a bump you would end up goosing the throttle.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Wow, not the answer I expected, but its exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I expected to here, there's no difference or crap like that its in my head. I knew there had to be something different.
Much appreciated. Is it going to be a difficult swap? What all wires am I going to need? Will my PCM care?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

I took a peek at an 05 (04 built) 1500 today. Seems like all I'm going to need is the TAC from the 05 model year trucks and down to 03, along with the pedal and interconnecting wiring, which I might add is only about a foot and a half long. My only concern is that my ECM is going to care what I'm doing, being that its set up for the later model TAC and not the earlier one. Is the operating system identical for a for all 03-07.5 classic trucks? If so, I should have no problems.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can make the switch, and won't have any compatibility issues.

One thing, don’t expect much if anything from just swapping the TAC module and peddle assembly alone, the programming is pretty close between them. Where the benefit will be seen is in the older set-up’s adjustability through the PCM after you make the swap.

Last edited by 1Bear; 10-28-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

So after the swap ill be able to adjust it with efi live correct? That will be fine because I plan to add headers and re do my exhaust then ill have black bear give me a retune
Old 07-08-2011, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

bringing this back from the dead, i'm about to go find a pedal and TAC, however I have one last question. There are very few 5 speed 2500hd gas trucks out there not to mention any in the salvage yards but the yards are full of half ton automatic trucks. Since my pcm is set up for a standard transmission, would it care if i put a TAC and pedal from an auto truck on it? I'm assuming no one will really know the answer but i just though i would ask.
thanks.