Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Squeakage...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeakage...

For quite some time now the front end of truck has been squeaking. At first I thought it just needed a lube job. That didn't fix it....Then I thought it was the break pads needing to be changed. Pads still have plenty left on them. It's weird, it squeaks when getting on the breaks lightly. It squeaks when I turn to the left, but not the right. I thought I had a little pebble or something stuck in between the pad and the rotor because of my dirt roads, so I flushed it out and it still didn't quit. Anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions to correction. Warranty is still up for another 8K so now's the time to figure it out I guess. Truck is an 04 Reg cab, 5.3, 2wd w/ disc all the way around if that helps. Any help appreciated guys cuz I'm outta' ideas at the moment.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:06 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be something in the brake pad composition causing the squeak, or the anti-rattle shims on the backs of the pads aren't doing their job. You may also have a rusty lip on the rotors, my first two sets of factory rotors rusted away like crazy and would make a scraping noise even without the brakes applied.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Hmm, that may be it. I'll have to start takin' stuff off and examine them closer. Someone told me these new brakes just squeak and theres not much you can do about them. Thanks bud...
Old 09-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Launching!

are you sure its coming from the brakes? these chevys have been having quite the issue lately about the e-brake cable passing through the hole through the frame under the drivers door...the line pushes against the metal on the frame and causes a creak/squeak noise from the drivers side...on slow accell and decel...just a thought have someone lay down next to the truck and listen for the problem...just my .02 it happened to me too
Old 09-18-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know what the problem is, but my truck is doing the EXACT same thing....squeaks when I turn left and also when light on the brakes. Sounds like a damn bus stopping and is fn embarrassing...I am @90k miles and it just started a couple weeks ago.

Thickness on bads are ok but not ideal and hit it with a good amount of brake cleaner and no banana

Let me know if you find the problem.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Ok i fixed my issue...soaked the rear shackles and leaf springs with wd40...problem solved also spray cab mounts and cables underneath at well as door jams...
Old 09-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Lol, I feel dumb, never would've thought this was causing it until I took it in and asked the service guy at the dealership.....and when he said it, I thought.."Wow, why didn't I think of that?" Got the front end aligned and solved everything, this one's for you 99Silv. Give that a try and see if that helps at all. Thanks for the insight Tyler, much appreciated.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Launching!

haha i feel dumb too, i always think of failing parts now not maintenance like an alignment lol im so used to finding junk parts now...think i got a lemon
Old 09-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Have the same problem with my truck now i'll take it to the shop next week and get it checked
Old 09-21-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by greencountry05
Lol, I feel dumb, never would've thought this was causing it until I took it in and asked the service guy at the dealership.....and when he said it, I thought.."Wow, why didn't I think of that?" Got the front end aligned and solved everything, this one's for you 99Silv. Give that a try and see if that helps at all. Thanks for the insight Tyler, much appreciated.
mfer, I know I need to get my wheels aligned. I hope that's it. Makes sense though.