Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Service diagram of where HVAC mode door is?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service diagram of where HVAC mode door is?

Guys, long time no type. Been busy having my first kid, so he seems to have been taking all my truck time lately. I've got a quick question for you guys.

My dad has a 03 SS with the Auto heat and his battery died last week, I mean really died. It was so low it must have been screwomh with the signal that the computer sent out since it was running rough and everything. Well he got that all straightened out with a new battery, but I guess a common side effect is that when you put the new battery in, it recalibrates quite a few things, including the HVAC system doors. Now, he can't get the mode door (one that goes from defrost to front vents to floor) out of defrost. Temp is fine, it's just the mode that is stuck. I guess this getting stuck isn't unheard of, and it's either the actuator is fried or the mode door just stuck during re-cal, but he's unsure where it is.

He did all the recommendations for recalibrating it, and the dealer even looked at it and tried to do it for him free of charge with no luck. Does anyone have a service manual they could take a look at and shed some light. He looked for the mode door in my haynes for my 99-01, but said it wasn't any help. I figured if you guys could point me in the right direction, I could go over and let him hold his grandson while I try and fix that one for him.

Thanks in advance guys,
Andrew
Old 12-16-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Lay on driver side floor look up. Mounted to the side of the case beside the gas pedal. Have fun changing it they are a trip if it's your first time.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this, looks like it might be #9, 13 and 41 that makes up that system. Loooks like it's way up there since the one that I can actually get access to is called out as a temp valve?
http://www.compnine.com/largeimg/051214TC09-672.gif

There were a couple different HVAC diagrams, I think it's because they are for different options (manual or auto heat), here's the 2nd that I think is the manual one

Parts list for #1

Parts list for #2