Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Ran a Quad Cab HEMI, it was a good race.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran a Quad Cab HEMI, it was a good race.

Well, on the way to school in the morning I catch a red light. Nobody next to me, then shortly later, a nice Silver Quad Cab Dodge pulls up. I look at the front fender, and their it is "HEMI". Awesome I say. It's on. I look at him, and he has a passenger I think (dark tint) and kids in the backseat. But he did have a radar detector on the window in the correct spot, so I knew he would run. Light turns green, we both roll evenly and I roll into WOT, he does the same, at 30MPH, I have a bumper on him. Then when my 1-2 Shift happens at 45MPH I leave him at about half a truck length. Then I catch another red light with him. Light turns green, I'm an idiot, give too much throttle and spin, he's gone about a truck length and a half in front up till 95MPH I pass him (he coasted down I presume). Anyway, it was cool, and that HEMI ran strong for such a pig truck, I'm impressed, I doubt it was stock though. At least a Programmer of some sort, what do you think?
Anyway, I beat a HEMI fair and square, Yay! I should've brake stalled on the launches though, that would've made a huge difference.
Philip S.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kids in the back seat...
Old 01-10-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish I could find one to run
good kill
Old 01-11-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good kill!
My guess is no prgrammer due to the 1-2 shift thing unless it was an 04 model ( no way to tell from outside ). The torque management removal on the 03 models will keep things very even GM to Dodge at those shifts.
Funny how you never see any Furd truck kills anymore, although my father's 04 3V 5.4L is a total turd for acceleration.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also raced a hemi from about a 60 roll (which is my worst spot) I dont get a downshift there.... anyway we ran dead even, i mean neither one of us moved on each other till about 105 or so when I started to pull ever so slowey on him.... His back window had the Superchip sticker on it.... so who knows...
Old 01-11-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it says Superchips it is an 03 for sure, Hypertech would be 04+ only. Definitely had a programmer for 105+ or used the "key forward" trick to bypass the limiter.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:46 AM

Good kill! I know each year GM truck has gotten a little quicker than the previous but I'm basing my comment on my 5.3L Silverado I use to own. As it stands now, my 5.7L QC Ram is probably quicker than my Silverado was with the same mods. When I had an exhaust, intake and HPP on my Silverado, my best time was a 15.21 (sorry, don't remember the mph). My best on my Ram with just intake and exhaust is a 15.24, I haven't run my truck since I've gotten the HPP but I think it's worth about .3-.4 seconds. If that's the case, I should run 14.9-15.0 with the same mods as the Silverado. I'm not saying this to start a pissing match, just making an observation. I know the 5.7L has more advertised HP & TQ, but it's also in a heavier truck so I think the power to weight ratio is about the same. Guys over at DTW don't realize how fast GM trucks are with the 4.8L and 5.3L in them, they just look at the advertised power. Again, good kill!
Jim
Old 01-11-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks everybody! It really made my day, it was definetely a fun event to say the least!
Philip S.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Jim it would be different had you got a real tune not the Hypercrap for the "vortec"I have found that the custom tune delivers 2x's the gain as the hand helds.tested on a RC and a SS
Old 01-12-2005, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Jim it would be different had you got a real tune not the Hypercrap for the "vortec"I have found that the custom tune delivers 2x's the gain as the hand helds.tested on a RC and a SS
Gonzo, a custom tune was probably going to be my next mod on the Silverado had I kept it. I wish a custom tuner would try and crack the DC codes in the Ram PCM's, I would definitly get one.
Jim

Quick Reply: Ran a Quad Cab HEMI, it was a good race.